Green Mars: update on page 6

Started by Mahnmut, September 10, 2012, 10:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hetzen

Some really nice scenes there Mahnmut. Are they all part of the same global rule set?!

Oshyan

I'm really enjoying this too. Just picked up Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy again; I previously read through Red Mars but never started on the other two afterward. This time I'll do it right. Your images will evolve as I'm reading, very cool. :D

- Oshyan

Mahnmut

Thanks Kadri and all of you!

@Jo Kariboo and Masonspappy, you´re right, the planetary views are still way better than the closeups.

@ Hetzen: More or less. There is a lot of childlayers I turn off for planetary views because they just increase rendertime and add nothing but a bit of noise on that scale. First and last image obviously dont use most of my "terraforming", its just the red Mars map plus water or clouds respectively (and by far the most beautiful images, nature is still best) . I use a less dense atmosphere when inside it. And the Water is still a work in progress, I adjust it for each perspective (with varying succes).

@Oshyan: I love these Books. I feel honoured to be assoziated with them.

So here is semitotale of Kasei Vallis for the Robinson fans:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8308/7983993472_a9a5c2da69_b.jpg

Martian scales are really a pain, small planet, big landscapes.
I tried to build a rainforest to fill in for this green layer (originally based on dandelOs planetary grass shader, thanks!).
To make Kasei feel like a BIG river I would have to grow the trees 300 times bigger, otherwise I could simply use the grass shader.
And when I tried to take a closer look , most of the "Riverbed" disappeared behind the horizon. Same thing with the Valles Marineris, standing on one side, you can´t see the other.
BTW, I don´t want to complain, but the evolution of my images is slightly hindered by the fact that TG crashes each time I try to change a colour. And my laptop doesn´t let me install new drivers, any ideas?

In the meantime, enjoy the competition:
http://www.space4case.com/mmw/pages/space4case/mars/mars-images-2007.php
and the real thing:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/MRO/multimedia/latest-images_archive_1.html

Best Regards,
J

Mahnmut

Well ,
I forgot about my holistic-realistic approach for now, found some nice datasets with 4 times the resolution of my biggest planetary bumpmap.
This is an unrelated and unrealistic view, the scale is completely fantasy, so that you can actually see both sides of the Valles at once. It´s not realistic, but I like it.
This image wouldn´t be half as good without Wallis Bristlecone Tree, Thanks Walli and Bob! The other trees are xfrog freebies, Thanks Xfrog!

Best Regards,
J

masonspappy

Good image!
I'm wondering now...since sunlight falling on Mars is weaker/dimmer than on Earth, would plants have broader leaves to compensate for the difference?

Mahnmut

Again, a complicated question. On Earth, the broadest leaves grow in the tropics, but maybe in the shadow of the canopy? I don´t know that.
I think plants can only afford broad leaves when the air is humid. for dry, dim regions the ideal plant could be some kind of black cactus that takes in more different wavelengths. Anyway, here come broad leaves (mostly because the uv mapping of this free turbosquid palm model didnt work)
Again, the scale is completely off. but I like the impression. Sometimes you have to make things smaller to see how big they are.

Best Regards,
J

Mahnmut

It turns out craters being water traps are to wet for fir trees...
DandelOs planetary grass on the other hand grows fine there.

Shalbatana Vallis, not to scale.

TheBadger

My favorites so far are the high orbit shots including the shot of the polls. They are absolutely gorgeous!
It has been eaten.

Mahnmut

Here is a version that has only moderately been terraformed, much of the terrain lies above the thicker atmosphere:

C&C are welcome as always!
Best regards,
J

TheBadger

Last one looks like a movie! I thought you mentioned that you upgraded your TG2? Looking forward to some animations sometime!

Looks great Mahnmut
It has been eaten.

Mahnmut

Thanks badger!
I won´t find tiem for an animation shortly, but you get bigger images out of my deep version.
Here is another view of the same Mars, wih phobos:

Isidis Planitia on top.
Best regards,
J

TheBadger

^^ Fantastic!

QuoteThanks badger!
I won´t find tiem for an animation shortly, but you get bigger images out of my deep version.

I'll take what you guys give me  ;)

But its good to know that those files you are making will last until your ready to come back to 'em. IF you remember that link to the mars movie, the last two images you posted are definitely Syfy ready!

Maybe in the future we can work out a deal where I render the animation for you, and you let me use it as a background for one of my models of a space vehicles giving you proper credit of course. Not now, but could be a good idea soon. Let me know.
It has been eaten.

Mahnmut

Thanks Badger and Inkydigit!
Here comes the aftermath of the argyre impact in my fictional universe. I tried for the actual impact but couldn´t make it like I wanted.

C&C are welcome,
Cheers,
J

Tangled-Universe

That's a really really nice one :) great work!