Green Mars: update on page 6

Started by Mahnmut, September 10, 2012, 10:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Time to stop teasing and show us the trailer from your film. Im not buying the "its just a hobby" stuff anymore!
It has been eaten.

Mahnmut

Thanks for all your kind comments!
@dandelO:
The terrain features in the last one are not my work, but nearly pure Mars (Hirise data from Gasa crater).
Concerning the atmospheres colour I took the freedom to show a clear day on Mars as I imagine it, the average day may be somewhere between your more pinkish version and my blue one. But i also like your bluer version.
And before I can make that movie Thebadger wants to see I have to kindly ask your Permission, dandelO, to use your planetary grass shader. That one has helped a lot for the terraformed mid distance images.
Even then, I am afraid I have to work in hospital for a living, and Mars is only a hobby.
Greetings from Mars,
J

dandelO

Of course, Jan. You don't even need to ask. If I've posted anything in the public, I expect it to be taken and used, unless it's shite, which much of my shares are! :D
I've seen 'nuff TG renders containing my past shares that I couldn't keep hunting down users and demanding credits for these days, even if they had restrictions. There are a few restricted files out there that I've given some select friends for free private use but I wouldn't post them in a public forum if I didn't expect them to be used willy-nillily. Don't worry about that at all.

Mahnmut

Not much new content, but some improvement in quality, I hope.
Red

Green

Cheers,
J

bigben

mhaze

Mahnmut

Thanks!

I experimented with .exr format for the first time, the result is a bit psychedelic:
https://flic.kr/p/oLJZKv

Cheers,
J

bigben

Welcome to the black art of tone-mapping  ;)

TheBadger

Quote from: Mahnmut on August 17, 2014, 06:18:47 PM
Thanks!

I experimented with .exr format for the first time, the result is a bit psychedelic:
https://flic.kr/p/oLJZKv

Cheers,
J

I think that is just sweet! A little traditional color correction in post and that would make a really great animation!
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Quote from: TheBadger on September 10, 2012, 06:57:30 PM
this is a cool project! Maybe some elements of mans presence?

By the way Jan, did you see this short film Calico found http://vimeo.com/44644178 ?

wow, only took me 4 years to find this, hee hee hee
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Mahnmut

Hello together,
it has been some time since I posted a green mars,
I tried using better resolution data with mixed success.  This one is the first I deem worthy to post again. Best thing about it is, all "terraforming" is procedural, after I lost my beloved photoshopped green mars map some years ago. Bumpmap and red mars are by Tuomas Kankola, I could not load the newest NASA-release. Still nice to render again. Thanks to WAS for pointing out that most of my technical problems where due to a bug in TG4, TG3 did fine, though not with 10.6 gb of tiff data.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/61177681@N00/51322138536/in/dateposted-public/
Cheers,
J

WAS

Nice look for procedural colouring for sure. At least with current TG. If you wanted to do gradient colouring, it's a lot of work. I hope we get a gradient map shader soon. It would be so useful for colouring displacement.

I do feel like the colouring is kinda reversed, where deeper richer colours would be seen by water sources, and lighter paler colouring away from it.

Mahnmut

Thanks!
 sadly I do not remember how to post the image directly in the text, something with brackets?

For  a gradient I would  have used maybe five surface shaders with really soft altitude constraints, but the look I was aiming for was rather one with distinct boundaries between what I imagine to be grassy lowlands and forested mid altitudes.
As mentioned, most of my older pics relied heavily on a map that I created in Photoshop and lost, trying to do it proceduraly is more fun though. And more flexible of course.
Best regards,
J

Mahnmut

Nothing much thats new, just upscaled versions of old pics:
Melting by JT, on Flickr