influencing motion of clouds

Started by trojanGoat, September 12, 2012, 11:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trojanGoat

Hi all,

My current setup is using an image map shader multiplied with a time based warp shader to roll the clouds.  The problem I have is that the clouds are all rolling in the same direction.  Is there a way to roll the clouds in multiple directions?  I know It's all noise based, but maybe it could use the motion of my image sequence as reference for vector motion.

I've attached 2 images to hopefully explain what I'm trying to do

In the "cloud_direction.jpg" file I drew out the motion of my image sequence.  When I play the rendered clouds it appears like they are swimming through the noise pattern.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

TheBadger

Any tuts at all on animating clouds would be much appreciated. :(
It has been eaten.

FlynnAD

If you have "groups" of clouds that you want moving in different directions, why not just break them into four separate cloud layers and move each in it's own transform/warp direction? For example, use a painted shader over your image map to separate the clouds into the groupings you want. Then make each grouping move where you want by using a transform node for that cloud layer. Render it all and your four cloud groups would move different directions.

Hetzen

Could we see a frame of your image sequence?

You can ditch a lot of your RGB to scaler nodes connecting to the Redirect, and use a vector to displacement node instead. The multiply vector constant next to the get frame controls the amount of displacement, so no need to split the vector into component scaler like we used to have to do.