DeviantArt

Started by rcallicotte, May 14, 2007, 09:16:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Does anyone have a logical reason why www.deviantart.com uses the DEVIANT like it's sort of a cool word?  In the U.S. at least, the word DEVIANT is used to describe a pedophile, etc.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

Deviant does have some negative connotations when attached with other words, but the word by itself simply means someone who is out of line with the expected course of action or situation.  Thus, calling everything "deviant" implies that everything on that site is unique or at least "different" in some way, which is just plain marketing.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Tim O'Donoghue

That always seemed odd to me as well.

The Saudis refer to terrorists as deviants.

rcallicotte

o_b - Thanks.  This is what I assumed, but it's sort of rough in the Midwest where everyone's looking for a boogieman under the next rock.  Anyway, I wish they would post an explanation on the front page to maybe help their marketing touch others who wouldn't even think twice about going to their site.

Tim - That's interesting about the Saudis.  And, as I said, I wish DeviantArt would do something to help clarify.  It could be done without compromising their site, if that's an actual concern.

Anyway, I'm interested if anyone's heard anything else.

Harvey Birdman

Calico - an interesting topic. My first reaction to your concern would be that maybe you're betraying a bit of a paranoid Bible Belt mindset, but in fact that has always caused my hackles to rise just a bit, too. And 'deviant' HAS come to be generally interpreted as shorthand for 'sexual deviant'; there is no denying it. If you were to hear it in conversation - '... and I heard Mel is a deviant...' there wouldn't be any doubt in your mind as to the intended meaning. It might an invalid conclusion to leap to, but your mind would almost certainly make the leap, nonetheless.

Bottom line is that it has been an effective marketing tool - witness this conversation. We wouldn't be talking about it if it were called 'slightly_unusual_and_completely_asexual_art.com'.

;D

rcallicotte

:D  LOL

Quote from: Harvey Birdman on May 14, 2007, 10:57:12 AM

Bottom line is that it has been an effective marketing tool - witness this conversation. We wouldn't be talking about it if it were called 'slightly_unusual_and_completely_asexual_art.com'.

;D

Harvey Birdman

On second thought, maybe we WOULD still be talking about it.

:)

duff

Dictionary definition states

ADJECTIVE:

Differing from a norm or from the accepted standards of a society.

NOUN:

One that differs from a norm, especially a person whose behavior and attitudes differ from accepted social standards

hence pedophiles, terrorists, etc... could be termed deviants. But until recently, in the UK at least, a deviant was not a bad person, generally just a little naughty or alternative.

Harvey Birdman

I wondered how long it would take for someone to dig out a dictionary.

;D

So any really nasty connotation is an American colloquialism, then.

Buzzzzz

Quote from: calico on May 14, 2007, 09:16:42 AM
Does anyone have a logical reason why www.deviantart.com uses the DEVIANT like it's sort of a cool word?  In the U.S. at least, the word DEVIANT is used to describe a pedophile, etc.

If you are that concerned about the meaning behind the name, why don't you contact the Founders of DeviantArt and ask? Or if you are really Brave, or just plain crazy, sign up for a free membership, go to the Forum and ask if the site is a bunch of Deviant Pedophiles? LOL  ;D

Harvey Birdman

Quote from: Buzzzzz on May 14, 2007, 03:39:39 PM
Or if you are really Brave, or just plain crazy, sign up for a free membership, go to the Forum and ask if the site is a bunch of Deviant Pedophiles? LOL  ;D

;D ;D

Oshyan

I've been a visitor to DA since the beginning, back when it was just a site for application theme makers to post their work. I always wondered about the name too and never quite liked it. It always seemed like they were trying too hard to be special or different. Frankly I was surprised at how successful it got, but I guess a lot of people want to be "deviant". ;)

I think in a certain way it's trying to co-opt the negative connotation to make it hip and use it for marketing purposes. Some variation of this has occurred many times in other areas of our culture - any examples have the potential to offend of course ("nigger", "fag", etc. being used by the former targets of their derision, for example). The whole "hip to be square" thing is along the same lines. The idea of making a weakness into a strength is common too.

Just some random thoughts on the subject. ;D

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

LOL!!!   :o

Quote from: Buzzzzz on May 14, 2007, 03:39:39 PM
Quote from: calico on May 14, 2007, 09:16:42 AM

If you are that concerned about the meaning behind the name, why don't you contact the Founders of DeviantArt and ask? Or if you are really Brave, or just plain crazy, sign up for a free membership, go to the Forum and ask if the site is a bunch of Deviant Pedophiles? LOL  ;D

rcallicotte

Thanks everyone.  I figured it was time to come out of the closet (of my quietness on this subject) and find out what in the blazes (just a term) was going on with these DEVIANTS.

;D  ;D  ;D   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D 

duff

Quote from: Harvey Birdman on May 14, 2007, 03:29:18 PM
I wondered how long it would take for someone to dig out a dictionary.

;D

So any really nasty connotation is an American colloquialism, then.

I cant answer questions regarding TGTP as my skill is limited so checking a dictionary seemed the best way to contribute to the forums  ;)