Set Projects\Objects folders?

Started by reck, April 29, 2012, 05:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reck

I find that i'm constantly switching between two folders whenever i'm working on a project in Terragen 2. These are my projects folder, where I save the files and also all my test renders, and my objects folder, which is where all my TG2 objects are stored. The file load\save window returns to the last directory that you were in so if I last loaded an object in and then want to save a test render I have to navigate out of the objects folder and find the project folder that i'm currently working in. The same applies after i've created a test render and want to load in an object.

Would it be possible for Terragen to remember the object load\save path separate from the main file->save and render->save so that it automatically goes to the correct folder? Alternatively in the settings could we set a path to the location where we save our projects and objects and have Terragen use that depending on what we are loading\saving?

Henry Blewer

I have to do this also. It's generally not an issue for me. I use Save from the file menu, so the program knows that path. When I save a render, then I have to navigate back to the objects folder. To be honest, I have never set the default folders in the preferences.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

jo

Hi,

Quote from: njeneb on April 29, 2012, 09:50:47 PM
To be honest, I have never set the default folders in the preferences.

That's not what the default paths are for. Those are for allowing you to customise locations which are normally assumed by the application, in this case the temporary output and sequence output folders.

I'm not really sure about the location of the open/save dialogs. I'm seem to recall it was a deliberate decision to return to the previous location on Windows. On the Mac I have my commonly used folders, such as objects, available in the sidebar of the Open dialog. I'm not sure if you can do the same sort of thing on Windows.

Regards,

Jo

reck

Yeah it's not so much of a problem when saving the Terragen file unless I'm doing a Save As, it's when I want to save the render out, which is what I do a lot during the different increments of a project.

Jo I do have my projects and Objects folder set as shortcuts but I'm still having to change folders a lot when I'm saving out renders and loading objects due to the folder structure below these folders. In the folder structure below I need to change from Projects\Proj1 to Objects\Trees\Pine\Pine2 for example whenever I want to load an object after saving out a render.

Terragen
-----Projects
----------aaaa
----------aaaa
----------aaaa
----------MyProj
-----Objects
----------Trees
----------------Dead tree
----------------Oak
----------------Pine
---------------------Pine1
---------------------Pine2
---------------------Pine3
----------Grass

It's one of those little things that only takes a few seconds to do (change directories) but when I'm doing it constantly it just gets a bit irritating. It would be good if the render save as window remembered it's last location separately from the object load window. Or maybe I just have a bad workflow.

Oshyan

I agree that, if it's possible, having each different type of file load/save dialog maintain its own "last folder used" history would be ideal. Dunno if it's possible though.

- Oshyan

reck

Quote from: Oshyan on May 01, 2012, 02:50:58 AM
I agree that, if it's possible, having each different type of file load/save dialog maintain its own "last folder used" history would be ideal. Dunno if it's possible though.

- Oshyan

Ah good, could you sneak into Jo's office and add it to his Terragen 2.5 to-do list without him seeing   ;D

Ingralto

Does anyone have any free or cheap reccomendations for a Static Mesh and animator software? I downloaded one called Blender, which looked OK, but I want to know if there are any others that are exceedingly good. I looked at Terragen 2 as well, but I don't know which is better. Thank You!!

reck

Should this be a new post Ingralto?

penboack

Maybe windows 8 will copy the OS X Finder sidebar ;). I certainly miss it when I'm using Windows 7.