Disney buys Lucasfilm and Star Wars franchise!

Started by Andrew March, October 30, 2012, 04:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

Couldn't be worse than what Lucas did with Ep 1, 2, and to a slightly lesser extent 3 (3 was the best of the prequels in my opinion, but still not great).

- Oshyan

AP

I think with the fact that Lucas has retired that gives me some hope that the next installment could potentially be better off. What made Empire Strikes Back work so well is the fact that Lucas had less control and the fact that Lucas had more control after Empire is the reason why we had Ewoks in Return of the Jedi and not Wookies who were used as slave labor for building the Death Star. Return of the Jedi would have had more impact had the Wookies been involved given there back story. If the folks were smart those Timothy Zhan novels would make for a great trilogy of film.

Bjur

Quote from: Oshyan on October 30, 2012, 06:11:35 PM
Couldn't be worse than what Lucas did with Ep 1, 2, and to a slightly lesser extent 3 (3 was the best of the prequels in my opinion, but still not great).

- Oshyan

So true..
Especially Episode 2 was a pure, non interaktive, jump & run game.
But there were everywhere disturbing signs out there. Now, the horror just becomes reality.

~ The annoying popularity of Vue brought me here.. ~

jo

I've decided there is no Star Wars apart from the first 3 movies ( and then the versions which haven't been messed around this) so I'm not so bothered about this. I have to say my first thought was "This must be a joke", not so much about the Disney purchase but that there was another movie planned.

I don't actually have a problem with the Ewoks. It surprised me when I found out some people really dislike them. They're a bit cutesy but apart from that I thought they did a respectable job of kicking arse and being fierce. I really liked the tree town and their gear. I did like the toys and it may be that the Ewoks were a merchandising thing but for me and my friends Stars Wars toys were *the* toys when I was at primary school. We would have had whatever was in the movies. I still have a few Ewoks kicking around somewhere :-). I had a friend that had the glider and catapult toys, so jealous ;-). Mind you, he had pretty much everything including the big Millenium Falcon. So spoilt ;-).

I liked the Ewok Adventure movie too!

Should probably be doing some development instead of talking about Ewoks right now ;-).

Regards,

Jo

Kadri

"primary school" That was the problem. That movie was for kids  .
If you accept this there is no problem with the new ones too  :)

Oshyan

I too liked the Ewoks, even to this day. But I *may* have a higher tolerance for (legitimately) cute things than some. Jar Jar is *not* cute, he's incredibly annoying and stupid. The Ewoks were at least not horribly offensive or particularly overtly obnoxious - cutesy, sure, but nowhere near the level of Jar Jar. And let's not forget the droids in the originals were a big part of the comic relief, one could say they're annoying too in some respects, but they work. Even the same characters in later movies just seemed poorly written and annoying (i.e. crude jokes in Ep 1-3 with R2D2 and C3P0).

- Oshyan

Kadri

Oshyan actually i did not liked the robots too at those times ...Especially C3P0 !
Star Wars  had all the bad-kiddy  elements already in it ... only they were a little more in check .
But after Empire it was all downhill.

AP

Indeed, if i had a choice between watching the Ewoks or JarJar, it would be the Ewoks. JarJar just needed to be blown out an airlock.

jo

Hi Kadri,

All those 3 movies were for kids if you ask me. Adventure, space ships, lasers etc. etc. what more could you want? :-) Perfect for kids. Adults can enjoy them too, sure, but they're all great kids movies regardless. I won't apologise for being a kid when they came out ;-). Star Wars came out the year after I was born. Return of the Jedi was the first one I saw in the actual cinema although I had seen the others at camp and such IIRC. Empire Strikes Back is my favourite though. Return of the Jedi is my least favourite of the original 3. I would say it's certainly more aimed directly at kids than the others but not offensively so.

The last 3 movies were awful. I don't think I would have felt differently about them if I had seen them when I was younger. So much stuff was just lame. Besides I don't think they were aimed squarely at kids. They were just a mish-mash. I've seen plenty of kids movies which are good movies regardless.

Regards,

Jo

Tangled-Universe

Everybody's talking about Star Wars, logically. However, Disney also acquired ILM in this deal and what I really really enjoyed was Rango.
Finally an animation with more adult humor and mysterious elements. Also with extremely nice animation and environments.
I'm afraid Disney won't aim for another Rango or similar project.

N810

Hmmm... wonder what this button does....

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on October 31, 2012, 06:10:59 AM
Everybody's talking about Star Wars, logically. However, Disney also acquired ILM in this deal and what I really really enjoyed was Rango.
Finally an animation with more adult humor and mysterious elements. Also with extremely nice animation and environments.
I'm afraid Disney won't aim for another Rango or similar project.

OTOH, latest information about the deal revealed that ILM will stay an independant studio and may continue with their type of business.
Current and upcoming projects are still continued and Disney will keep ILM as a gun for hire.

matrix2003

"Agrees with ChrisC"  If they bring back Jar Jar Binks, I would gladly fall on a light saber!  >:(
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

AP

So like Pixar, ILM will remain independent. ILM has and still puts out great work all these years. Of course i still have dreams of working for Pixar.