Disney buys Lucasfilm and Star Wars franchise!

Started by Andrew March, October 30, 2012, 04:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

Quote from: matrix2003 on October 31, 2012, 01:30:27 PM
"Agrees with ChrisC"  If they bring back Jar Jar Binks, I would gladly fall on a light saber!  >:(

Thankfully when that character showed up in episode 2, he was toned down quite a bit. I think Lucas got a clue and by episode 3, i think he never showed up.

Kadri

Quote from: jo on October 31, 2012, 03:07:12 AM
... I won't apologise for being a kid when they came out ;-)...

Short written forum posts doesn't cover all the things we feel and think unfortunately all the time.
Jo , i think you doesn't mean it in a serious way but just for the record ,
i was nearly 18 years old when i saw it and it took me many years to be free from its (extreme ) influence.
I was one of those escapist fanboys for years. So there isn't anything to apologize (serious or not) ;)

AP

Empire still is the most favored of the entire franchise. Even as a kid, there was something about the darker aspects of a story which made you wonder how are they ever going to get out of this situation. I have always liked stories written in that fashion and in the sci-fi genre it is very rarely ever done well.

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Andrew March

I'm hoping in some way they will cover the Thrawn trilogy, if only the major plot details in one of the three projected films. Seeing that Lucas will havce some creative input lends itself towards some form of continuity, so I have high hopes.

TheBadger

I have to say that I really hated StarWars for a long time. But someone gave me a look at aspects of the StarWars universe other than the terrible movies. And now I have to say that its really a deeply layered place.

I think the real problem is that the movies are not taken seriously by the people who make them. If the new movies have a reality to them the way the new batman movies do, than they will be the biggest movies ever. If its Jar Jar 2, well, I think Disney knows how that will go.

The problem for making movies for kids, is that kids are not like they were when the first three came out.
It has been eaten.

Andrew March

I think that's why Episode V is the fan favourite, it has a darker feel, you get the sense that these characters are in real danger, something you never feel in any of the other films and the prequels don't give you any characters to really fall in love with, they are cardboard, two dimensional animatrons who rarely display any emotion that makes you want them to succeed, part of the problem is obviously that we know where the story is going from the begining and so empathising with the main character is out of the question since you know he ends up being one of the galaxy's biggest villians.

Lucas is a great creator on a universal level but his dialogue and failure to give the fans what they want is one of the reasons why there is a love hate thing with the cinema going public but from a purely visual standpoint the films are extreme and without them we probably wouldn't have had any of the big CG and VFX blockbusters for at least another ten years.

I can go on for hours about this, Star Wars really is my passion, I'm so obsessed with it I bought two copies of the Star Wars chronicles books, both the original and prequel books at a cost of £580, so that I could keep one copy of each in pristine condition!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6io8LefEdI A little something I put together

TheBadger

Don't forget the last movie, near the end. Cutting peoples legs of and leaving them to burn to death is pretty serious business. Not to mention all the children who are graphically murdered in the take over.

Now that I think on it, I'm not sure what hollywoods resent fetish with showing kids being killed is all about? Anyone seen walking Dead? Just another example.
It has been eaten.