first image with T2

Started by zaxxon, November 18, 2012, 05:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaxxon

Greetings. This is my 'First Ascent' into the T2 mountains, and the learning curve is very steep here, but a truly enjoyable challenge. Open to comments and critiques.

inkydigit

Excellent start Douglas! Love the mist and composition... Maybe some colour variation on the rock surfaces?
:)

4nt

wow, impressive pic, looks photorealistic

cheers

masonspappy

That *IS* nice. Great 1st render!

Dune

Good start indeed.
C&C; you could add more different trees and space them in patches by blending their distribution by a power fractal. The distribution as it is now seems very even, although you might want that on purpose. For images like these I'd make a more panoramic ratio, like 1: 1.6, which (IMHO) is nicer than the more squarish images. Good to experiment with that at least.
Some subtle colors (a stack of one colored power fractals without displacement) in the rocks may be nice as well.

mhaze

zaxxon

Thanks Inkydigit for the observation regarding the rock coloring, you're right, but at this point I'm still trying to figure out how to accomplish such things. Dune: just what I need in the area of direction. Power fractals seem such an important part of creating so much in T2 and I'm just starting to explore their properties. The tree distribution is too even, 'clumping' was something I hoping to achieve thru multiple small populations manually overlapped, but clearly that didn't quite measure up. As to a variety of trees, yeah I agree. Also the scale of the trees is a bit 'wrong' in hindsight.
To masonspappy and 4int: kind words indeed. Thank you.

Henry Blewer

Play with the power fractal alone on the default, opening landscape. It will help you to see how they work much easier than trying to make them fit into a scene.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

zaxxon

Here's another shot from the same terrain, only a bit more panoramic and with late day lighting. Did a small try of a power fractal on the trees in the lower right corner to try a 'clumping'. I'm really having a good time with atmospheric tweaks and cloud placements (mist if you will). Stuck a second sun into the scene set to only light 'atmosphere'. 2nd sun as opposed to 'fill' lights? I like the 'directionality' of the sun, but have yet to mess with Oshyan's fill settings.

TheBadger

Great start! Looks like you have been doing this a while already.
It has been eaten.