Crown Point

Started by choronr, November 22, 2012, 01:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

Many thanks to 'efflux' who created this terrain. You can download his file(s) at http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=14110.15 at the Planetside Forum under File Sharing.

I made some adjustments and added a number of surface shaders and plant models by Walli.

Enjoy...

Simius Strabus

Why stop dreaming when you wake up?

iMac i7 2.8GHz 8Gb

Walli

very nice, I really like the colors in that scene!

Dune

Indeed a great image. I like the cracks very much, as well as the coloring.

choronr

Thank you all. Much can be done with this fabulous terrain.

efflux

This is cool. I commented where you put it on the other thread. It looks like a great place to explore so draws the viewer in.

The basic terrain in my file is very simplistic though so as to highlight the effect rather than have complex terrain forms. I started to try it on different terrains. Maybe you could explore that further? Try to get more interesting terrain shape then apply the voronoi effect. I did that in the render attached here with a terrain that has been stretched out and blended. I've posted some images using this terrain before (without the voronoi graph). I suppose I should really post more clearly about how I did it although I did described that before. It's not difficult. Anyhow, my basic point is to play with the underlying terrain to get interesting shapes then apply the voronoi to the higher areas.

choronr

Quote from: efflux on November 24, 2012, 08:58:59 AM
This is cool. I commented where you put it on the other thread. It looks like a great place to explore so draws the viewer in.

The basic terrain in my file is very simplistic though so as to highlight the effect rather than have complex terrain forms. I started to try it on different terrains. Maybe you could explore that further? Try to get more interesting terrain shape then apply the voronoi effect. I did that in the render attached here with a terrain that has been stretched out and blended. I've posted some images using this terrain before (without the voronoi graph). I suppose I should really post more clearly about how I did it although I did described that before. It's not difficult. Anyhow, my basic point is to play with the underlying terrain to get interesting shapes then apply the voronoi to the higher areas.

Thank you; and, I like what you have done here. I'm looking forward to applying your setup on some of my existing terrains, especially trying to 'flatten' the low areas. Maybe the setup by 'Hetzen' might work here.

Would appreciate a more clear explanation by you of applying the voronoi to other terrains. I'll read through the posts you have made earlier.

efflux

With the voronoi you are simply carving into the terrain. That's all there there really is to it. Since vononoi is a cell like structure it creates a rocky effect. You can cut it as deep as you want. That might be an angle to explore. The problem is that this is quite an extreme effect and you wouldn't see this all over terrains so in comes altitude blend.

The altitude blend can be used in several different ways. You can altitude blend very different terrain forms. That's what we did with the voronoi or you can take two terrains that are very similar to create subtle changes from one to another - this is actually a very useful way to do things. The terrains can have different displacements. It's the fractal's shape that counts most i.e. one terrain could be more displaced than the other or use the same terrain but send it to two displacement nodes. One more displaced than the other. You'll then find that along the join in altitude you will get more sudden change. There is really a whole lot to explore here. Matt gave us the tex coords from xyz. How many people are using it?

Also, and this is important, the more you can build into the initial displacement of the terrain before compute terrain (rather than use surface displacements after compute terrain) the better.

efflux

As for doing this with other terrains, simply hook you terrain into the tex coords from xyz. What altitudes the blending happens at is in the distribution shader. You will need to adjust that to taste. This really what I want to see people do. My files are meant to be starting points to get the ball rolling.

You can also adjust the size of the rocky outcrops by changing the constant scalars that go into the voronoi 3D A vectors. This will depend on the charactor of your terrain - the size of it's features and what size the outcrops need to be. This is all part of the artistic side of things. Deciding what looks good. There is no real art in my files. They are meant to demo the technique without getting too fancy. You can also use other blue nodes to process the voronoi differently i.e. the attached file has a different blue node where the bias is. It causes the voronoi to not work across the whole range in terms of cutting so the tips of the voronoi retain the original terrain shape i.e. they look cut off. I'm not looking at the file so can't tell you what node. Gain maybe? That's for people to experiment with.