Save Confirmation Needed Upon Save

Started by Cyber-Angel, December 24, 2006, 07:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyber-Angel

While I realize that this is a Technology Preview, and not the final product, a basic feature is missing from the save process and that is a confirmation that the save has been completed; a standard feature in software products today.

Currently, when saving an image there is no confirmation dialogue that the save has taken place; also the name of the file is not displayed in the Title Bar as is per normal, which would in normal practice replace the words "New Image".

Regards to you

Cyber-Angel     

jo

Hi,

Quote from: Cyber-Angel on December 24, 2006, 07:35:09 AM
While I realize that this is a Technology Preview, and not the final product, a basic feature is missing from the save process and that is a confirmation that the save has been completed; a standard feature in software products today.

Currently, when saving an image there is no confirmation dialogue that the save has taken place; also the name of the file is not displayed in the Title Bar as is per normal, which would in normal practice replace the words "New Image".

I have to disagree with you here. I think save confirmation message boxes are annoying and unnecessary. When you save you should only see a message box if something goes wrong - any decent software should be aware of something going wrong during the save process, because it is so important. I generally save every 5 minutes or so when I'm working on something, having to dismiss a dialog every time which isn't telling me any useful information would really be a pain. One of the things which really annoyed me about the Windows version of TG v0.9 ( IIRC ) was the way it displayed a message box when it saved an image. I was always thinking "No kidding, I just saved it there - duh!". To me it's an example of poor software design which gets in the way of the user instead of helping them, and putting up unnecessary message boxes simply encourages people to click buttons without reading the messages. I don't mean to sound abrupt but this is a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

I'm not so sure about showing the name of the saved image in the titlebar. With TG2 the finished render is not linked to a file or anything. You can save the same render multiple times in multiple formats using multiple names. Displaying a filename in the titlebar doesn't really make sense in this situation.

Regards,

Jo

3DGuy

With the scene data you can tell if it has been saved since the * at the end of the titlebar is removed. If you change anything the * is back. I agree with Jo here that a message stating it's saved is supurfluous. You say showing a message is standard. I just tried in Photoshop.. no message. Office.. no message. 3DS Max.. no message. So for being a standard feature, no. If you save the rendered image to a BMP you want the titlebar to reflect that. Think about this for a moment. That would mean the data in the bmp file equals the data displayed in the renderscreen, when it doesn't. The bmp file is just a representation, a shallow copy of what's in that render window.

Compare it when you're in Photoshop editing a picture and then use the save for web feature. You get an image on your disk, but the actual title bar of the image you're working on doesn't change.

littlecannon

I agree... no application I use gives confirmation... Quark, InDesign Photoshop, Illustrator .
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

Will

I like it when the little bar on the bottom says save complete so you know but it does not get it the way, its a nice compermise.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.