Armageddon 2012

Started by lat 64, November 30, 2012, 02:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lat 64

I started this project today. My first nube question is: Is that second planet making my render times long?

Pack your bags ;D,

Russ
I'm a half century plus ten yrs old. Yikes!

Oshyan

Wow, that's a surprisingly effective asteroid impact simulation in Terragen! I would guess your high render time is more due to elements in the foreground and your render settings. The background planet should not be increasing render time significantly. Hard to know for sure without looking at your TGD, or at least render settings.

- Oshyan

TheBadger

I like it too! Great start. I hope you will develop this as far as you can. I'm looking forward to seeing how "real" you can get it.
It has been eaten.

lat 64

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll post a nicer version in a few days.
I'm just making low-res movies until I have it more to my liking. I guess I can't complain about render time, they are about 2–3 minutes per frame.

I need a better(more real) asteroid surface and make a more effective shock wave. I think I'll make the camera stationary for now and use a few shots from different angles. I'm totally open to any ideas for improvement.
Lotsa work to go, but it's big fun.

Jo convinced me to finally upgrade my OS and it made a big difference. Thats why I'm getting in deep :D about animation.

Russ

Simius Strabus

Looks like the start of a great animation!
Why stop dreaming when you wake up?

iMac i7 2.8GHz 8Gb

lat 64

Okie dokie, here's the next one. This is much better, but there seems to be so much to do yet. An amazing learning experience for me so far.
Anyone have a solution for a contrail following the asteroid as in plunges down through the atmosphere? I would use a localized cloud but it won't tip at an angle. At least I can't get it to. :P

A Kiwi I know e-mailed us to say the world is going to end on Dec. 31. Is there a soccer game we should know about Jo?

jo

Hi Russ,

If any game here in NZ was going to cause the end of the world (and it's almost happened before!) it would be a rugby game.

You're making great progress with your movie :-).

Regards,

Jo

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

lat 64

Thanks Calico,

I need to make the shock wave a bit smaller and in a more likely speed of blast propagation. I also want to show some ejecta flying from the blast site (no clue how to begin there).
I have to say, the animation panels are VERY crucial for adjusting key frames easily, I love them. Sometimes I find I have about five or six open all at once, and have to clean up my work area occasionally.

Maybe a new post near the new year. I work slow.

Russ

Hetzen

lat 64

Hetzen,
I'm wondering what you identified as "mask work". I don't really know that much(anything) about masking.
Would you like to see the file? It's really pretty much basic stuff, but I animated the heck out of localized clouds and started a crater right after impact on frame 100. The scales are a bit off on some things and you'll see a light source that i tried to use as the glow from a hot asteroid.
The camera positions are not current anymore, so you'l have to make your own.
Here's the file anyway: