Better handling of objects but especially populations?

Started by TerrMite, December 14, 2012, 03:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerrMite

Hi,

I've seen threads about this before and wanted to check if it's "on its way".

Most of the time when I work with populations of trees I cover an area of 10000 square metres, sometimes more.
That area is covered with 10-30 populations, but when I want to change the location of a population. it's almost impossible due to the thick cover. There's no way I can click on the population because I can't find it in that white blanket.

My humble request is: when I click on a population or object in either the node network or the object list, the population is highlighted in the 3d preview window.

One other thing that I'm wondering about is: the shortcut F3 for rendering. Why does TG2, after I pressed F3, ask if I want to start the render? Shouldn't TG2 start the render after I press F3?

These aren't big problems but still annoying (like small things are).

Kind regards

Mikael

jo

Hi Mikael,

You can already select a specific object using the context menu in the 3D Preview. Simply context click and choose the object or shader from the "Select Object or Shader" submenu. We've also made some improvements to object selection for a future release. We've made some changes to click handling so other objects don't grab the selection when you're trying to manipulate the selected object. You can also give objects and populations specific colours so it's easier to figure what's what in the preview and you don't get the same "white blanket". Populations are coloured by default.

We haven't made objects select in the 3D Preview when you click on it in the network view or object list, for various reasons.

The F3 shortcut is not for rendering, it's for showing the Render view. All the items in the View menu just show different windows/views. There is a shortcut for rendering the current render node. It's Ctrl-R on Windows, cmd-R on the Mac. The menu item for this is in the Project menu. This shortcut will bring the Render view to the front and start rendering the current render node.

Regards,

Jo

Henry Blewer

I use the button in the population dialog which allows you to select which type of preview you want. It defaults to wireframe. You can also choose bounding box or hidden. I hide the objects when I have them how I want them. The population handles, and borders are still in the scene.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

TerrMite

Many thanks Jo for the quick answer,

Had to test it right away and of course you're right. I'm glad I asked about the object handling because now I know :-)

I'm also glad I asked about F3. TG2 is just getting better and better.

Thanks for the advice Henry. What I didn't know is, that I can hide the populations and still have the borders visible. Haven't found that box yet to tick or untick.

Have a nice weekend both of you

/Mikael