Toothed edges in landscape rendering

Started by icarus51, December 17, 2012, 08:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icarus51

Hi all.
I've this problem about landscape rendering.

If you have treated with it in another thread i apologize but i have not managed to find this issue in the forum.
It happens that the edges of mountains, hills, tops, are toothed, in this window i've circled in red the problem.

I tried to play with various parameters but the problem don't disappears.
This issue appears at any quality rendering, any size of window.
My OS is Windows 7, 32 bit, Terragen2 last version.

Is it my error or this is a bug?
There is a solution?

Many thanks in advance.

Tangled-Universe

This is not your error, nor it really is a bug, rather a too stringent optimization.

In the node network press on the renderers bookmark on the left.
Let's say you're using the "full render"  render node then double-click on the '+' symbol at the right of the render node.

This will take you inside the render node's internal network. There you will see a couple of grey nodes, max 4.
If you don't see them then move some around as they can be on top of each other.

Double click on the "render subdiv settings" node.
Disable "fully adaptive".

This worked for a previously reported similar example so I suspect it will at least improve things in your situation.

Did it work?

Cheers,
Martin

icarus51

Hi Martin,

Unfortunately this works very little, the problem is always present. I'm going crazy to understand the cause.
I use generally Quick Render, maybe this is part of problem?
I tried also "Force all edges" but no way,
Greetings.

Claudio

Tangled-Universe

No whether you use quick or full render shouldn't matter. They are 2 renderers and only differ in settings.

However, you may consider trying a crop of a problematic area and set the following settings in the renderer:
detail 0.9
microvertex jittering disabled (extra tab)
detail jittering disabled (extra tab)
fully adaptive disabled (as I explained)

In my tests disabling microvertex and detail jittering gave some improvement, but didn't work as well as disabling fully adaptive.
Perhaps the 3 together will do better.

icarus51

Thanks,
i'll try your tips.
If i play with "Rai detail multiplier" and take the value from default 0.25 to 0.05 i see a significant improvement...  ::)
I think that i will have to play days an days with these numbers  :o
cheers.
Claudio

icarus51

Hi Martin,

Thank you for your patience. Attached i send the crop window of my landscape with your tips.
Effectively i see an improvement in the picture. Low left side.

I'll continue to try why i want to understand this mistery and solve it.

Goodnight.
Claudio

jo

Hi Claudio,

What detail setting were you using? It looks like it might have been quite low.

Regards,

Jo

icarus51

Hi Jo,
Not, i tried at any render value but no way. Now i'm playing with parameters and things get better.
I've lowered the Ray Detail multiplier and disabled Microvertex jittering and Fully adaptive, like Martin said to me.
In attachment i send the picture and Render Details. I see a significative improvement.
Cheers.

Claudio

icarus51

Hi friends,
There is still some little problems but this setting, below, is the better i've found after a day of "rolling eyes & soring head"
Some data of Render.
Detail - 0.505
Antialiasing - 4
Microvertex jittering - Disabled
Detail jittering -  Disabled
Ray Detail multiplier -  0.77
Supersamplin Prepass -  Enabled
Surely this is a delicate play of numbers and numbers... to find an equilibrium level... puff! but I think that for today it's enough for me and for now.
Cheers.
Claudio

icarus51

Hi,
A simple question: if i find the right settings for my render (parameters) how can i save these settings to use them when i start TG without repeating the procedure? Save as Nodes? and then recall in new render?
Thanks!
Claudio

jo

Hi Claudio,

You can use any project as the default for project creation. This can be set up in the Startup preferences panel. There is more information here:

http://www.planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Preferences_-_Startup_Panel

Regards,

Jo

icarus51