Node palette

Started by jo, January 07, 2013, 07:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jo

Hi,

I was just watching the introductory TERRALIVE webinar and saw Martin and some others talking about the Quick Node palette. I'm glad to see people are finding it useful.

Martin mentioned it couldn't be docked. While it's true that it can't be docked into the main window you can open up a node palette in a floating window and keep it around for easy access. You do that from View menu. You can have multiple node palettes open at once. By default their layout is saved and restored across TG sessions. There is a shortcut in the Window menu to show and hide all floating windows, including node palettes, so if you find they're getting in the way you can quickly show and hide them without having to close them.

Someone mentioned wanting to be able to open the Quick Node palette with the favourites selected. I'll add a shortcut for that.

There's more info about the node palette here:

http://www.planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Node_Palette

Regards,

Jo

FrankB

However, I would find it useful if the node palette could be docked. Or replace the shader list on the top left. That would be my favourite setup: node palette docked.

- Frank

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: FrankB on January 08, 2013, 01:45:25 PM
However, I would find it useful if the node palette could be docked. Or replace the shader list on the top left. That would be my favourite setup: node palette docked.

- Frank

I think it was pretty obvious that I agree with this :)

(Docked just at the left of the node network, as dragging from left to right is most ergonomic for right-handed users like me.)
(Or allow it to be docked by the user, then at the far right in the node network would be nice too.)

Dune

Yes, dock it upper left, replacing the network there!

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Dune on January 09, 2013, 02:36:08 AM
Yes, dock it upper left, replacing the network there!

IMHO that's too far from the node network. I'd need to drag it through my entire screen if it would be there.

Ideal would be if we could dock it anywhere we like, but I think that would mean quite some work for Jo to redesign the UI to support such functionality.

Trying to reach a consensus where it should be is neither useful perhaps, since we don't know whether Planetside is seriously considering docking this useful node palette somewhere in the UI? Guys?? :)

jo

Hi,

We probably won't be able to look at docking functionality for the UI until much later in the year. It's something we'd like to add but not a priority at the moment.

Regards,

Jo

cyphyr

I'd love it if we could add full tgc's to the node pallet.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Tangled-Universe

Thanks Jo :)

Quote from: cyphyr on January 09, 2013, 05:43:33 AM
I'd love it if we could add full tgc's to the node pallet.

Yeah that might be a nice feature request for the tracker. Great idea.
May be something for later this year as Jo explained.

Dune

You're right, Martin. Many beginners probably still use the upper left part. Regarding inclusion of tgc's that a great idea, although I have hundreds of them....

DannyG

Jo or anyone, is there a keyboard shortcut to big up your favorite node library ?
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: jo on January 07, 2013, 07:39:02 PM
Someone mentioned wanting to be able to open the Quick Node palette with the favourites selected. I'll add a shortcut for that.

Hi Danny, that "someone" was you :)

DannyG

Doh !!  ;), I know I asked during the conference, however I missed Jo addressing this, I'm at work, kind of skimming threads, cruised right past it, Thx Jo and Martin ^^
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram