Black Water?

Started by Tsukiyono, December 24, 2006, 08:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsukiyono

I have a render that puts me many thousand feet up inbetween two cloud layers right now. I have just water below me (and one cloud layer)... the rest is just a low level sun.

The render is fine (cloud issues and such, but going to fiddle and try to figure that out).. the water on the other hand I have been fiddling with and cant seem to get the water to render anything but black at this height... any ideas on how to fix?

Tim O'Donoghue

Is your sky blue or black? Water reflects the sky, so if the sky is black, so will the water be.

Oshyan

Yes, your water color will depend greatly on your sky color. The angle at which you are viewing the water will also affect which direction the reflection is coming from and thus what part of the sky is being reflected. You can add color to the water itself if you want, although this is not generally realistic (unless there is suspended sediment or you're simulating underwater surfacing). Just put a Default Shader or similar into the Input of the Water Shader and adjust color in the input node.

- Oshyan

Tsukiyono

Quote from: JavaJones on December 24, 2006, 08:16:46 PM
Yes, your water color will depend greatly on your sky color. The angle at which you are viewing the water will also affect which direction the reflection is coming from and thus what part of the sky is being reflected. You can add color to the water itself if you want, although this is not generally realistic (unless there is suspended sediment or you're simulating underwater surfacing). Just put a Default Shader or similar into the Input of the Water Shader and adjust color in the input node.

- Oshyan

The sky color is a lightish blue at the horizon and fading to a darker blue towards the foreground. Im sort of interested in more of a realistic view. The sun is very low as I looked at your pics on TN about the sunset and wanted to do my own :D... so thats the sky color.

Is there anyway or setting I can fiddle with to try to get the water back into the image?