Newbie's first Image

Started by zionner, May 20, 2007, 01:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zionner

hey all,

I've been trying out Teregen 2 for a few days now, and it aint much compared to some of the stuff from here, but i wanted to show what i've came up with

Your Comments, Tips Ect would be nice :)

Thanks

rcallicotte

Nice beginning.  Has ambience.  The reason (you probably know this) for the graininess has to do with your atmosphere and particularly your cloud settings for Quality.  Cloud quality usually needs to be around 64 or above and for something like this I'd bet 256 wouldn't be too much. 

Nice POV and good angle for the lighting.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

zionner

Thanks, Im rendering a diffrent version now, it has a diffrent angle for the camera and lighting, and ive switched the Haze off for this setting

zionner

Hey again

Ive finished touching this one up as best i could, this is what i came up with

ProjectX

If you lower the haze settings in the atmosphere node (try 2 or 1) you'll get a much clearer image.

You already have some nice colouring in this image (as far as lighting is concerned), but there isn't much in the way of surfacing.

Do the quick start, then the beginner's tutorial, and then do some of the ones on http://designpaths.com and the tutorial thread stickied at the top of of the TG2 discussion forum here, soon you'll be as good as the best of us.

also, try posting a tgd you've made as best as you can. I'll have a look at it and modify it in ways I see fit, and repost the tgd so you an see the typical sort of design processes and workarounds we've come up with over the months.

Another idea is to download clip files left right and center. These things save a huge amount of time and can add new functionality that you never thought was possible (canyons for instance). You'll find most of them on the file sharing forums.

zionner

ok thanks :)

and how do i upload TDG's?

ProjectX

Zip it up with winzip (I think the files default to being in the "my documents" folder) and then attach it to a reply on this forum by clicking "additional options..." just below the box where you type your text when you reply.

zionner

ok thanks,

Ive learnt a lot from those Tutorials (thanks for sending them to me) and have decided to move off mountians, and onto Planet Views

Heres My First one :

and the project file is attached

ProjectX

a good start! i'd take a look at the project file but I'm no celestial genius, Will would be the one you'd need for this.

only two real crits:

1) Increase the size of the clouds, to do this open the cloud layer's density fractal and increase the sizes in the first tab, try by a factor of 10 or 20. Also, check out the procedural clouds from space thread in general discussion, there you'll find a clip file for some quite exquisite from-space clouds.

2) the far planet needs it's atmosphere samples increased. You'll have to go to the atmosphere shader in the second planet though, not the atmosphere tab. to do this, select the new planet in the objects tab and open it's properties and find where it says what the atmosphere shader is, click on it and click "go to ..." and edit the properties there as if it were a normal atmosphere shader.

zionner

thanks ^^ im gonna edit it now

Will

Hey good start, also you might want to add a planet shader for the ground. Its a quick and dirty way to made some nice looking planets on the fly but it also has some bugs in it so its not perfect. Any questions you have feel free to ask or PM me. Also look into Big Ben's projects too they are pretty intresting if not a tad complex.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

zionner

here are my latest two pictures :

Water

New Planet View

nvseal

That first one looks pretty fantastic. The sky is perfect. Nice work!

zionner

could someone please tell me what is the best way to create Clouds from a view like that, as all mine looks jagged and un-realistic

rcallicotte

Like the sunset.  Very nice sun, clouds, and water.  Good job.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?