Northern Sunset

Started by Mor, January 08, 2013, 11:29:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mor

I decided to play with the animation module for a change and animated one of my old scenes.

500 frames
Quality 0.8
AA 4
Rendered with 7 threads maximum.
Total rendertime about 75h.

Unfortunately youtube gave rather good punch for the quality again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZOEBO0FWWY

C&C welcome

Kadri

Nice  :)
Wish you could use higher settings and resolution
Could this be a temporary video in Youtube until it uses the higher quality one?
I didn't used Youtube but heard some things like that before...

jo

TheBadger

outstanding! The first part was so good I got disappointed when it got dark out.
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

Nice, a very natural result. Personally I might have made it half as long and 720p though. ;)

- Oshyan

Mor

Thanks for your comments. I might render this bigger (720p) and even little longer after testing some tweaks and doing other things for a while. I have no need for my computer while I'm at work or sleeping so it could render bigger version this at those times :D

Any directions for the render settings I should use for the bigger version?

Oshyan

Make sure you click the "Animation Check" button on the Sequence/Output tab. 0.6 or 0.7 detail ought to be fine, at 720P higher AA will probably be necessary though, perhaps 6 or even 8, depending. It's impossible to say how noisy the existing result was with the compression YouTube has added.

- Oshyan

Mor

Thanks Oshyan. I clicked the animation check button for the first version, so that was ok already. I made some test renders and with detail 0.7 and AA 6 the quality seems to be good enough. Rendering 720p takes about 20 - 30min per frame now, so there will be some waiting until all 800 frames are rendered :D

I also managed to crash TG few times with the dope sheet, when I moved keys from the old end at frame 500 to the new end frame 800.

Oshyan

Good to know about the crashes you experienced. If you can find a way to reproduce it consistently with specific steps in that TGD, it would be great if you could send it with instructions on how to make it crash to support AT planetside.co.uk.

Thanks!

- Oshyan

Mor

I tried the dope sheet several times and got it crash immediately every time I moved either render camera key or transform shader keys. I'll send the file right away.

Here's also short 2s version of the 720p animation. It's rendered with detail 0.7 and AA 6. Rendered every 5th frame for GI cache and number of files to blend is 5. Does it need more AA?

Oshyan

Yep, definitely more AA. You might try AA6 and Max Samples. Longer render time, but it should be fairly smooth. Looks great other than the AA noise!

- Oshyan

Mor

I tried with AA6 and max samples and it doubled the rendertime to little over 40min per frame :) The result is a lot smoother though.

Oshyan

Hmm, still noisy though unfortunately. Might have to try a different approach, with relatively high max samples, highly adaptive, and medium-high noise threshold. Martin has posted with some specific suggested numbers in the past...

- Oshyan