Object Shadows...

Started by choronr, May 20, 2007, 03:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

All else having failed we must resort to sharing the complete scene, terrain, textures and all. Note that you can compress .ter and other files well with RAR or .7z compression. The free ZipGenius can compress to .7z.

- Oshyan

Matt

I think a worthwhile test would be to render a close-up of one of the trees in such a way that the shadows are large and can be seen very clearly (if the shadows are working, of course). If any shadows are then visible it should be easier to decide what problems remain.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

choronr

Hi Oshyan,

I tried to download 7Zip but it would not allow it. I use IZarc and compressed the 32MB Navajo Point file down to 29MB. I'll try to send it to your site; however, my ISP generally won't allow anything through (outgoing or incoming) much larger than 2MB. If the e-mail fails, I'll put the file on my site for download. I'll advise you when this is done if I have to go this route.

The 'grass clumps' image map is 5.49MB; The 'Birch Trees' image map is 3.27MB; and, the surface layer 3 image map is 1.69MB.

Another thought for file transfer is 'Microsoft Messenger'. This works well; Jay and I use it all the time. Let me know if you would be interested in doing the transfer this way. I think this would be the best way to get the files to you. It would take about 10 to 15 minutes for the transfer.

Attached is the latest .tgd file.

Bob

choronr

Hi Matt,

I will do a test render after zooming in on a tree and advise if the tree is actually producing shadows. I'll get back to you. Thanks for the tip.

Bob

Oshyan

I'm on MSN messenger. That would work fine for me. I have PM'd you my contact details. :)

- Oshyan

choronr

@Oshyan: Where do I find your 'PM'd Messenger details?

@ Matt: I zoomed in on the trees and did a cropped render. The trees did not show up at all. This probably means that the tree settings (and grass clump settings) need to be reset.

Bob

Oshyan

Look in the upper-right for "Private messages" under "Welcome Choronr".

- Oshyan

choronr

Thanks; I've read the message and sent you a reply; and, an e-mail.

choronr

Oshyan, this is the message I got back when sending you a message:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

edsel4444@hotmail.com

Oshyan

That is my MSN address only, it is not a valid email address. Blame Microsoft's silly MSN ID system. ;D

- Oshyan

choronr

Agree. More than their Messenger product is silly. Back to you tomorrow.

Bob

Matt

Quote from: choronr on May 31, 2007, 01:05:45 AM
@ Matt: I zoomed in on the trees and did a cropped render. The trees did not show up at all. This probably means that the tree settings (and grass clump settings) need to be reset.

It may be that you zoomed in too far. Make sure the whole of the tree's bounding box is within the 3D Preview window. (The objects' bounding boxes should show up if you have "Preview instances" enabled in the Populator node.) The bounding boxes sometimes seem quite a lot bigger than the objects they contain. I wouldn't use a crop region until you know exactly how the tree looks fills the image.

If the trees are visible from a distance I don't know of any other reason why they would not render from a closer viewpoint, unless perhaps the crop region was in a part of the image that is looking through an empty part of the tree.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

choronr

Hi Matt,

Sorry; I just realized that I forgot to 'Set Camera' after zooming in on the trees. It was a bit late in the evening when I did this and wasn't thinking straight. Oshyan and I tried to do a file transfer last night but it didn't work out - so, I'm preparing a folder with all the files that he can download from my site.

In the meantime, I will zoom in again on the trees and get back to you this morning. Sorry for the mistake.

Bob

choronr

Hi Matt,

After zooming in on the trees to see if the shadows will show up, ...still, no shadows.

Bob

choronr

Hello Oshyan,

All the files are up on my site and ready for download. There are two separate downloads you need to make. Let me know if you have questions; and, that the download was successful. Thanks.

Bob