Re: Overhanging cliff, yet more progress

Started by ajcgi, January 14, 2013, 05:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajcgi

[edit] Latest version at bottom of page [/edit]

Hey all,

A couple of weekends ago I was toying with a cliff face, getting it to overhang. This I can do, have done before, but this time... I want it to curl over a bit, like a wave crashing. That is the plan. I want the cliff on the right here to appear to be a giant crashing wave of rock, frozen in time, perhaps by a passing mage or something!

Anyway, what's the best way to approach this? Ordinarily I'd use painted weights but this just seems way too fiddly.

Trees, clouds etc, are all placeholders for something appropriate.

Dune

You could use a soft simple shape to define the area that needs to hang over, and use the tilt and shear shader or redirect shader, perhaps with a soft minimum height.... maybe blended (put it as child on a surface shader) or driven by a power fractal. Hope this helps.

ajcgi

Ah yes I think I can see that being a suitable approach. I'll give that a go at some point. Cheers!

ajcgi

After a long hiatus and a few epiphanies whilst Terralive was going on, I figured this out!
Perhaps I could do with some rearrangement of elements here as ultimately the eye is drawn to the horizon, plus a big rock or two in the foreground, more rocks along the right hand side.
The foreground landscape is displaced with a mixture of fractals and the water shader with no transparency or reflection, plus a painted map shader to push the midground down.

The overhanging wave of rock... that is a simple shape, displaced upwards, sheared sideways, then pushed downwards with a gradient. I was unnecessarily excited when it finally worked.  ;D

[attachimg=1]

Oshyan

That actually looks really cool! Nicely done.

- Oshyan

TheBadger

2nd image has real potential. Looks good now too, but if you keep at it I bet it will look really great.

I would ease up on the foreground most part of the cliff overhang. It cool, but just a tad to much. Afree with the things you said your self with the 2nd image.

Looks like this would make a great matte for a vid!
It has been eaten.

ratfugel

You've really got something there.  Looks like it comes from some sort of apocolypse film!  Keep working at it and I'm sure it will develop into a stunner!.

rat.

ajcgi

Thanks for all the kind words. ;)
I had an idea today which I think will work for this. It actually kinda runs along the other-worldly apocalypse theme...
I reckon if I make the mentioned changes I can give this shot purpose with the addition of a large all-terrain vehicle trailing down the right hand side parallel to the cliff, dust spewing out the back. The scale of this scene is actually quite large so it needs something like that to give it awe, plus it could fit well with the current camera POV. I'm thinking 'large' as in the size of those trucks in the film Moon. About that size, so the width of 3 roads or something.

Alex

[edit] By 3 roads, I mean 3 lanes!

jamfull

This looks really cool. Great progress. I see this being used for breaking waves as well.

James

pclavett

Agree with the above .....extremely cool effect !!!
Paul

ajcgi

Further progress!
Reckon I'll drop the camera down a bit, move the truck left a little, and raise the lowest point of the cliff edge so it's not so close to the truck. I did raise it a little, but it's pretty much unnoticeable so I'll push it up further.
The dust, the glows, and the mist in the foreground & on the cliff are photoshop trickery, at least for now.
I'll come back to this with fresh eyes in a day or so.

Mahnmut

Nice detail, great structure.
Compared to my first impression, the car scalesit down by afactor of 2-3.
Greetings,
J

ajcgi

Well after much tweaking, my PC graphics card blowing and me finishing up on the laptop... I have another update!
Think I need to vary the colour of the heather populations further, plus break them up. It's that that is killing the scale at the moment Mahnmut. If you check out the truck now you'll see ladders and walkways. This thing is huuuuuge.

ajcgi

Right!
After showing this to all and sundry I decided to alter the composition of this a little so that the truck appears to be further below us with the foreground heather helping with the scale. I've made the heather a bit larger on average but still within the boundaries of realism.
May have to play around with positioning of things but getting there I reckon.

Oshyan

That's definitely an improvement, it helps to better establish the scale. This scene is coming together nicely.

- Oshyan