Who would feel up for another NWDA Image Contest?

Started by FrankB, January 16, 2013, 11:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who feels up for another NWDA (Still) image contest?

I'm in
29 (100%)
I'm out
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: February 18, 2013, 04:42:39 AM

choronr

Theme suggestion: Freestyle; although hard to make choices and comparisons when voting.

Hannes

Five days left and still seven participants needed. Come on, you sissies!!! ;) ;) ;)
Btw, I'd like to have a more specific theme. Freestyle can be everything. I want a challenge!!! ;D

Tangled-Universe

I won't promise anything, but I know Frank has a nice theme in his head ;)

Dune

cyphyr

Creativity often comes with limited choices. How about a challenge that limits us in some way, forcing us to find an original solution.

Maybe the entire scene can only use a specific number or maximum number of shaders.
or
Maybe their is a supplied terrain that has to be textures and lit.
or
Limit the colour pallet in some way, you may only use blues and orange for the ground textures.
or
Do what you like but the sunlight is green!

Just an idea but I think with the talent here we might come up with some novel, interesting and educational solutions.

Cheers

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Kadri

If you want more participants i would only choose a subject like "mountains in winter" etc. and not restrict it too much.

Tangled-Universe

In a way you're right Richard, but my concern and opinion is that if you put restrictions in the contest challenge like max shaders and such then you'll only attract about a handful of contestants who can cope with such a challenge.

What Frank has in mind isn't very restricting. The theme will be a certain subject, so we'll restrict you to that, but you can put this in any kind of landscape you like.
This will allow for both a challenge as well as allowing a contestant to use his previous experience and favorite elements/strengths in his work.

I hope this doesn't sound too vague, but I don't want to spoil Frank's idea for the contest by throwing it in here :)

We just need a couple more votes! ;)

Cheers,
Martin

Dune

A waterfall? A.... cave? A..... crater? A..... outcrop of rock? Or just a specified object? Curious.....

bobbystahr

My only request is please wait till the 2.5 release of the free edition so the po' folk (me etc.) could join in with a minimal handicap(size/res/pop)....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Tangled-Universe

plugsnpixels

I'll support the contest like I did last time by publishing the winner's work and bio in my ezine (see issue #18).
Free digital imaging ezine
www.plugsandpixels.com

Dune

Well, hopefully that'll convince the last three contestants to enter  :-\  I am quite amazed about the lack of response to this contest proposal, really  >:(

Tangled-Universe

Perhaps some are a bit reluctant because they are afraid it will be as comprehensive as last one (animation storyboard challenge)?

I can tell, without saying specifically, that all the candidate themes are about still images :)

FrankB

So... because not everyone is checking the forums often, and because it's relatively easy to miss a thread, I have opened the voting for another 10 days.

The contest themes in question are indeed about creating a still image - so no story boards or animations.

What's different this time around is the method by which the winner is chosen. In the past years, we had a jury, but this time, we would like to open the voting process up to the forum users. On top of that, we may have 2 voting categories, like "most photo real" and "most interesting", so that we would have 2 second place winners and 1 first place winner. The first place winner would be the one with the highest combined score from the two categories.

Well, still thinking about it, how that might work out or not, but I wanted to share this with you anyway, perhaps to spark your interest.

So if you would like to participate, VOTE NOW, if you haven't already.

Cheers
Frank