1000 birds (Final 1080p animation on page 5!)

Started by Hannes, January 16, 2013, 12:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

It's been a long time since I posted something (lot of other things to do).
Here's something that was initially meant for testing surface layers. During some early tests I realized that GI lighting looked great for the clouds but the terrain looked way better with a fill light setup. So I decided to use some kind of a hybrid lighting. Fortunately it's possible to choose which light illuminates what.
The birds are made in 3ds max by using a bird model I got from somewhere. It's preanimated. Not flying around but flapping for about 300 frames. I created a particle system with this bird as source for 200 instances. I made the system emitting the birds for about 30 frames so that the birds started their animation at different frames and let them fly around. So at about frame 100 I had a nice flock of birds each in different states of movement. I then made a single mesh out of these particle birds and imported it into TG. I used four of these flock objects (so it's only 800 birds, but 1000 sounds better! ;))
The rock including the plants in the foreground on the left side is an imported mesh too. Initially it was a distorted sphere which was displaced with a rock texture map I also used for the diffuse colour and for bump mapping. I grew some ivy on it and added some bushes.
The tree on the right is a Monterey cypress by XFrog.

There is a lot of stuff in this scene and it's a pleasure to see how TG handles this. My computer is a little bit outdated but anyway this scene took only about 11 hours to render in a 2400 X 1022px resolution. I remember when I worked only with the foreground rock in 3ds max. Even adjusting some parameters took ages...

Edit: Check out the final 1080p render here: http://youtu.be/3_T6zhiI2aM

Martchi

Très belle réalisation, bravo!

Kadri

Technically it looks very good and can be used as a real landscape probably Hannes :)
Not sure why but maybe that it lacks a more defined focus as an image-for me-,
i see this more as a frame from an video -where the camera is panning alongside the birds for example-.
Do you have a video Hannes?

Oshyan

Superb, Hannes, very realistic. I agree with Kadri, it looks like just a moment in time, a random snapshot. Reminds me, actually, of a still from something like Planet Earth. I can hear Attenborough now: "And as dusk descends, a flock of Ki'pu'i fly out for their evening meal, a rich harvest of insects drawn out by the growing dark and cooling temperatures. The flock will circle for hours, gorging themselves - in some cases up to their own body weight - before finally returning to their cave dwellings." ;)

- Oshyan

Seth

wow ! really really nice one, Hannes !
very realistic and nice work on the colours too

TheBadger

Its great Hannes!

I really wish you could animate those birds in TG!! Maybe you can do an image sequence animation thing, or whatever its called. Still have not seen one, that I know of.
It has been eaten.

Hannes

Thank you, guys! It's not a frame of a video, but now that you mention it, it really looks like one to me too.
@Oshyan:  ;D ;D ;D
@Badger: I also wish I could animate those birds. Now that it looks like a still image of a sequence, I'd love to create an animation including wind blown trees. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Dune

Superb image, Hannes. I really like the birds (I'm a bird fanatic), but the terrain is fabulous too. I like the explanation given, the story behind this scene. Thanks.

Tangled-Universe

Great work Hannes, I really like it!
IMHO, the clouds are the weakest point of this image, else is just really good if you'd ask me.
Looking forward to your next one :)

Quote from: Oshyan on January 16, 2013, 08:11:45 PM
Superb, Hannes, very realistic. I agree with Kadri, it looks like just a moment in time, a random snapshot. Reminds me, actually, of a still from something like Planet Earth. I can hear Attenborough now: "And as dusk descends, a flock of Ki'pu'i fly out for their evening meal, a rich harvest of insects drawn out by the growing dark and cooling temperatures. The flock will circle for hours, gorging themselves - in some cases up to their own body weight - before finally returning to their cave dwellings." ;)

- Oshyan

Ghehe, that's an awesome comment Osyhan :) I can really imagine hearing him telling that story :)

Cheers,
Martin

Oshyan

Funny, I like the clouds. :D

- Oshyan

inkydigit

Hi Hannes, welcome back!
What a seriously beautiful scene!
Great setup info too, and Oshyan; great impersonation!
What a great flock of birds... any chance of sharing the mesh?
I would love to download these somewhere!!
cheers
Jason
:)

masonspappy

This is seriously cool. Great work!

Hannes

Thanks again!!
@inky: I'd love to share this one, but I don't really remember where I got this from. It was a Max-Script that created flapping birds flying along a spline. I took this model and used it as described. So I hope the creator won't mind if I'm sharing it.
The file has more than 17 MB (compressed). So I can't upload it here, but I'll see where I can upload it.

inkydigit

thanks Hannes!
Look forward to checking out the possibilities!
J
:)

choronr

So impressive; the light and contrasts make this image pop. BTW, you might try 'MediaFire' to upload the birds.