extra populator controls

Started by Kevin F, January 16, 2013, 03:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin F

Question for Matt:
When populating objects you can select the min and max size values in the Object Scale tab. But this always seems to produce more  larger objects than small ones. Would it be possible to choose the percentage of each size or size range?

Matt

Hi Kevin,

It's an illusion caused by the larger objects taking up more space than the smaller ones. So, even though the distribution of sizes is completely even, most of the space is occupied by large objects. In many cases it would be better to have more small objects than large, especially for rocks, and this is something I've been thinking about. Maybe I can add a bias control for a future version.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Kevin F

Tangled-Universe

A bias control would be a nice idea :)

jaf

I'm thinking a work-around for now would be using two populations of the same object -- one with the smaller versions and another the larger, so you could have individual control?
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Kevin F

Quote from: jaf on January 17, 2013, 02:08:14 PM
I'm thinking a work-around for now would be using two populations of the same object -- one with the smaller versions and another the larger, so you could have individual control?

Yeah, but unless you use some sort of mask, you can't control
objects overlaying each other without collision detection.