Thanks to Terralive

Started by Thejazzshadow, January 20, 2013, 11:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thejazzshadow

I'm sure there will be lots of discussion on this but I just wanted to start by saying thank you to all that contributed to Terralive. I learned so much from this and will be using the techniques I learned to improve upon my current projects. Will definite attend future ones.

FrankB

It certainly was a fun thing to do for me!
Getting to show people how I do things with TG2, and share some of the tricks that are so much harder to describe in writing.... that was great.
I also enjoyed Ron's presentation a lot - I found that very interesting and I had lots of questions for him, hopefully it wasn't annoying ;-)

I just wish more people would have been actively participating on microphone. If you're presenting, it's nice to get some interaction going. Perhaps next time, folks ;-)

There is one thing I forgot to do during the clouds presentation: I forgot to put the noise variation into the negative, for the big ass cloud. around minus 0.5 or so, an unclamped fractal starts to produce very nice and detailed cauliflower shapes - better that what I was presenting even.

Frank

Tangled-Universe

It was great fun doing it! Also quite hard to get things wrapped up in time!
I hope we have been able to share you better understanding of TG2 and aspects of our personal workflow.

If any of the participants feel they need a bit of extra explanation or help with the webinar and its content then don't hesitate to contact me!

Cheers,
Martin

Quote from: FrankB on January 21, 2013, 03:59:33 AM

There is one thing I forgot to do during the clouds presentation: I forgot to put the noise variation into the negative, for the big ass cloud. around minus 0.5 or so, an unclamped fractal starts to produce very nice and detailed cauliflower shapes - better that what I was presenting even.

Frank

That was the personal touch I added to this image I posted in your TerraLive Cloud Session feedback thread :)
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=15494.msg151269#msg151269

Kevin F

Yeah. I'd like to thank all concerned as well, it was a very enjoyable and informative weekend. I agree that the low number of attendees was disappointing but maybe future events will attract more after the positive feedback.

Thanks again all those involved.

FrankB

Oh, no, I didn't think the number of attendees was low.

My point was that I wish that more of those who were there, would interact using their microphone, rather than just through the chat window.

Cheers,
Frank

Kevin F

Quote from: FrankB on January 21, 2013, 05:07:04 AM
Oh, no, I didn't think the number of attendees was low.

My point was that I wish that more of those who were there, would interact using their microphone, rather than just through the chat window.

Cheers,
Frank

Point taken.
But.... from a forum with over 14000 members I'd have expected more than 25 or so at each session.

zaxxon

I really appreciated the presentations and material provided, some really valuable guides to understanding and using Terragen 2. I was also expecting a larger turnout, but perhaps given the level of interaction that might have been tough with a larger crowd. I chose not to 'mike-up' this go-round, but will definately rethink that when the next set of webinars comes around (hopefully soon!).  My sincere thanks to all who put these sessions together!

otakar

This was fun. I missed the end of each day's second session, so I can't wait to listen to the recording. It was certainly packed with information and I was very pleased with Planetside participation, that was a nice surprise. I felt the sessions could have been longer (maybe with a mini-break halfway through) to get through all the content. There were some questions along the way that I was holding back because I was focused on the presentation and did want to delay. Also I feel there could have been a little more interaction in the room if the time constraints permitted it.

The only thing that I'd like to have had - Martin that comes to mind now from your presentation, which was excellent, was a more in-depth discussion of achieving color variations over a population (of trees). I know it's almost a topic in itself and there have been whole threads about it, but seeing it demonstrated is just so much better than reading through a thread. Having said that I can't wait to get my hands on that presentation of yours and TGD.

As for Frank, there are some things that I took away that will improve my clouds and give me more control. Having the interplay of parameter settings explained was definitely helpful. Very inspiring session.

The TOSCARS session was fun and finally Ron's presentation was very different but also interesting, though I had to sign off halfway through, so I'll have to see what I missed.

With the microphone I was probably in the same boat as others as I had lots of background noise where I was sitting so I typed my questions in rather than disrupting the session. I thought it worked well. Paul did a great job bringing the chat questions to the presenter's attention.

But perhaps the biggest surprise for me was seeing how you guys work. For example I never copy coordinates, I always wait for the preview render and then manually copy the displayed coordinates -  now I know a better way. The measure dialog is another one. There were many others. This alone will vastly improve my workflow.

Thanks for putting this together, hope there will be another event like this in the not too distant future.

Tangled-Universe

Thanks for the positive feedback guys :)

Quote from: otakar on January 21, 2013, 11:08:09 AM
The only thing that I'd like to have had - Martin that comes to mind now from your presentation, which was excellent, was a more in-depth discussion of achieving color variations over a population (of trees). I know it's almost a topic in itself and there have been whole threads about it, but seeing it demonstrated is just so much better than reading through a thread. Having said that I can't wait to get my hands on that presentation of yours and TGD.

Thanks :) The lack of in-depth discussion on some of the subjects in the webinar were definitely due to time issues.
Estimating how long it will take to discuss a variety of subjects is difficult, as proven by the delay :)

About the color variation over a populations; I know I have shown the basics of course, but the "trick" on how to do it was the most important message. What would like to have seen more about the color variation I discussed during the webinar?

Cheers,
Martin

folder

martin, for those of us who missed what sounded like a great event (i had family matters) you think individual selling of some portions , ie tu, franks lectures is possible

david

Blackheart6004

Hey guys, I'm sorry I've couldn't come to Sunday's webinar because my computer crashed the day before with a "BOOTMGR is missing" error and thankfully the guys at the repair shop successfully fixed it.
My DeviantArt Profile - http://blackheart6004.deviantart.com/

otakar

Quote from: Tangled-Universe
What would like to have seen more about the color variation I discussed during the webinar?

Ok, so let's look at an example: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Autumn-trees-creek_-_West_Virginia_-_ForestWander.jpg

If I wanted to do something similar with a rather small number of populations (vary tree colors within a single population as well as within individual instances) how would I go about this? Yes, what you showed was absolutely useful, but like I said having a further refined example is what I would be curious about. Makes sense? The other observation of course is that while researching the forums is certainly good to do (and will often yield a solution to a particular problem) what may have been the best and most efficient way of achieving a particular effect a couple of years ago may be out of date when working with the most recent release of TG. A lot of new functionality has been introduced over time and some things are just not that obvious. Hence my appreciation for these demo sessions again.

DannyG

Quote from: folder on January 21, 2013, 06:54:06 PM
martin, for those of us who missed what sounded like a great event (i had family matters) you think individual selling of some portions , ie tu, franks lectures is possible

david

Folder
All recorded sessions will be made available for purchase at www.3dartdirect.com. The date of this roll out will be announced once the recordings have been finalized and uploaded by Paul and 3dartdirect
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Digital Art Live

It was a real privilage to put this together, see some master artists at work and get the community here at Planetside to interact in a live setting.

The recordings are now on sale over at www.3DArtDirect.com. Check out the original TERRALIVE sticky post that I have altered, which includes a few screenshots of the webinar recordings, shown again below.

Five webinar sessions spanning over eight hours of content

Kind regards

Paul Bussey
Digital Art Live

www.digitalartlive.com