procedural guard rail

Started by Dune, January 27, 2013, 02:29:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

I think it's what would be a solid wall for the metal section with an opacity function to remove the part that meets the ground and using some alternating b/w blend function for the pillar spacing. I can see how that could work. Is it Ulco's method, though?

Maybe it's just a floating plane, rotated and displaced by the road warper, sitting on top of the posts?

Tangled-Universe

Could also be, nice thinking Martin :) it looks like the guard rail has thickness though?

On second thought...as far as I know you can not build an opacity function which uses object space, since we only have terrain space and world space. If he did it this way then it must be through using a get altitude function and raise the result by the desired height. Don't know exactly.

Dune

Well, at least I made you guys use your brains again  ;) The rail indeed had thickness, but I took the middle/top section out so two vertical strips remain, which I liked better than the solid block of steel. I have thought of the ability to add some attachment strips across, but didn't get to it yet. In theory it should work, however.
I have reworked the surface, so the fake stripes have gone, and the iron is just 'ribbed', with a corrugated fractal as basis, where the reflections is blended by the (color adjusted fractal. Also made the poles shiny metal with some rust. Last version rendering now...

Tangled-Universe

Dune

Here you go.

FrankB

Very good, Ulco!
The rail isn't convincing yet in terms of realism, but the sheer possibility to make one is amazing :-)

jaf

Wow, looking great.  I believe the railing should go to the inside of the posts (the road side.)
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

masonspappy

Just realized there is a buzzard on the slope above the road.
Nasty creatures.

yossam

Dune

I've got another idea to make two vertical sides of the railing. Usually with highways there's two sides, along country roads it might be one at the inside indeed. I'll make that distinction and try to color it better. Also got an idea for better posts.
The buzzard is a vulture I had 'lying around' and never quite finished. It is quite reasonable now, so I gave it a podium.

Dune

another version, and a test deviation. Still looking for a monorail train... or have to model one.

yossam

I thought I had a monorail model, but I can't locate it at the moment. I'll keep looking.

I like your last iteration of the guard rail.  ;)

By the way, your buzzard looks hungry. have you fed it lately ? It' just waiting on the next vehicle to come around the corner.

ajcgi

Wow I'm intrigued by this!  :o

j meyer

Some elements don't reflect it seems.
Any idea why?

bla bla 2