Terra Planet Pack

Started by FrankB, January 29, 2013, 07:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Thanks guys, that is encouraging!
I don't think I promise too much when I say using the planet pack will be fun. I had a LOT of fun exploring and rendering with it, still have.

I haven't even discovered the animation possibilities yet. It's perfectly possible to "fly" in one animation from space down to the ground, anywhere on that planet!

I am not sure about the release date, yet, so I better don't say anything. Essentially there are 3 forces that work towards pushing the date out. 1) my own wishing to add and tweak this and that, 2) my work life calendar, 3) the amount of work it takes to optimize and document this.
However somewhere in between February and March it will be ready.

Cheers,
Frank

FrankB

Every 5th frame rendered, displaying for .35 secs. More to follow!

EDIT: some more frames added

[attachimg=1]

Tangled-Universe

ares2101

Couple questions about this.  Will we be able to specify things like average planetary temperature, percent surface that is water and such?  Also, betting this one is a long shot, but any possibility of making a flat map out of worlds made with this? Words cannot describe how awesome I would find it to be able to do all of these, or even some of them.

FrankB

Quote from: ares2101 on January 31, 2013, 11:08:51 PM
Couple questions about this.  Will we be able to specify things like average planetary temperature, percent surface that is water and such?  Also, betting this one is a long shot, but any possibility of making a flat map out of worlds made with this? Words cannot describe how awesome I would find it to be able to do all of these, or even some of them.

Don't confuse this with a planet simulator. That would be an impossible to meet expectation. So things like temperature which would then realistically influence the structure of the planet and the erosion of surfaces are way out of scope.
However, there is a very easy way to get more or less landmass, actually two easy ways.
a) you can shift the color balance of the fractal that produces the continents. That's it.
b) you can drain the ocean by reducing the radius of the water sphere. That's possible because our planet actually produces below sea level displacement. In other words, our oceans are truly deep.

Now, the planet gives you a starting point, which you can alter in any imaginable way. For example, if you don't like the textures, want less green in the tundras for example, you can do that. You want the equator climate zone to be broader? No problem. More / less cloud cover, or your own custom clouds? Easy.

But it's not a simulator. You have artistic handles, but you will have to adjust every little detail on your own.

Cheers
Frank

DannyG

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

freelancah

Congrats with the milestone. It looks very good! Also wish you the best of luck  in documenting =)

zaxxon

Amazing. Planetary art, sign me up!

DannyG

Awakening this tread for good reason, Its coming! And it's landing in NWDA ! Keep your eyes open for more details
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

oldm4n

mhaze

archonforest

Absolutely stunning work!! Well done :D
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd