foam finished - sans gulls

Started by mhaze, January 30, 2013, 11:52:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

Thanks Dune and mhaze; reducing the size of the simple shape shader to 8000/8000 also eliminated some issues. I had that at a much larger setting initially such that the distant terrain would show up.

mhaze

You can of course use many different SSS to mask out different parts of your base terrain to for example keep a rock free passage between the foreground and background (or just one in the middle!)

choronr

Quote from: mhaze on February 05, 2013, 09:53:25 AM
You can of course use many different SSS to mask out different parts of your base terrain to for example keep a rock free passage between the foreground and background (or just one in the middle!)
Thanks Mick. Thank you; I'll be experimenting with your suggestion. Strangely, I saved a pretty good POV last night; and, this morning when I opened the file up again, it was back to the original POV ...maybe too many beers last night?

mhaze

Been there, done that. The one I hate is when you've been working on an image for an hour or so and been so involved in it that you've forgotten to save it and it crashes >:(

choronr

Quote from: mhaze on February 05, 2013, 12:28:19 PM
Been there, done that. The one I hate is when you've been working on an image for an hour or so and been so involved in it that you've forgotten to save it and it crashes >:(
Now I realize why it couldn't save that POV; your file did not have a 'quick-render' setup which I should have checked that out before saving - some days I'm as dumb as a stump!

choronr

Now I realize why it couldn't save that POV; your file did not have a 'quick-render' setup which I should have checked that out before saving - some days I'm as dumb as a stump!

Sorry, my comment above is in error. For some reason, I cannot save the camera POV. Other changes are saved however.

choronr

OK, the problem is me. Think I need some sleep. Sorry for wasting the space above. All is well now.

choronr

Quote from: Dune on February 05, 2013, 03:35:30 AM
Bob, taking reflectivity out of the distance is easy, just add 2 shaders, like here.
Ulco, I've tried the distance shader along with the surface shader. I have a problem with using the distance shader knowing what to input as minimum and maximum distances. One has no reference as to what the numbers should be. Any suggestions?

mhaze

I have the same problem so I use the preveiw window that you can bring up by clicking on the little blue square in the top right of the distance shader.

Hannes

You could create a test surface layer with the distance shader as colour function. You can see on the terrain where white ends and black begins. When you're happy with the settings use the distance shader where you want to and delete the surface layer.

choronr

mhaze, Hannes, thank you both for your input. I was able to get something reasonably close last night with a lot of trial error - which is really not the way to do it. Thanks again; we're making progress.

choronr

Just an update - made good progress for a final render which was looking very good. Started it 21 hours ago and had maybe just about a few more hours to go. Then, forgot about my automatic C drive backup which kicked in while the render was finishing; and, the render was lost!

I will start the render again tomorrow ...never say never!

mhaze

choronr

luvsmuzik

Thank you for the foam sans gulls file share mhaze! Path trace robust render in Images section. 18 hour render at 1920x864. :)

https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,27555.new.html#new