water test

Started by Dune, February 03, 2013, 10:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Testing some water settings with fake water on one layer. The speed isn't right yet, second half moves faster, but this avi is set at 10frames/sec. so that's no good anyway.

mhaze

Hannes

Really great!! Somehow the foam patterns remind me of Maya's ocean shader. Did you create and animate the pattern directly in TG? If so, how did you do that? It really looks very natural.
The terrain seems to be displaced a bit too at the edge of the water?!

zaxxon

Really interesting. Looks like the 'movement' of the water is close to being 'tweakable'. It's the lack of 'collision detection' against a confined channel that is troublesome to me. I guess a selected camera view would resolve that issue somewhat. Have you tried Realflow/Hybrido with T2? Not to divert the topic, but it would be great to have flowing water in a T2 scene. The example you created here is really inspiring however!

Oshyan

Impressive indeed. The edges of the river do appear to be "bulging" a bit with displacement though.

- Oshyan

Dune

I remembered promising doing some testing for the Ponte Salario animation, Oshyan, so I finally did something about it. Hopefully you already had a look at the file?

It's a very simple setup for render speed sake, just a fake river in a gully, no water shader or separate plane or lake object. That's why you see the sides moving with the water (there's a small soft edge separating them).
I used some new alpha settings, so I can't really elaborate on it, but it's basically a Y movement of the larger perlin waves, another Y movement on the smaller ridged wavelets on top of the perlin (which are, obviously, blended by the perlin's high color), and a transform shader animation, moving the whole lot down stream.

The only problem is that this was 10 frames per second, over the first 100 frames I moved the water 2m, over the second 100 frames 4m. I made another one, having done some 'smart' calculating, with movement 1/3 as much, because I wanted something at 30 frames per second. But that turned out awful, hardly any movement in the water, but great turbulence. Mmmmm, huh?

Oshyan

Yes, I've had a look at it and did some camera experiments. It will not take long to come together, and now that you have this (which in that context will work well I think, as it is not the focus), it can go fairly quickly.

- Oshyan

Dune

That's good to hear, Oshyan! I'll experiment a little further, last night I got some ideas about making 'standing waves', which is often partially the case in fast streams. I only have to figure out how much to move the water given a 30frames/sec basis. I think 1 m per second would be good for a fast flowing river, so that would be about 3 meters over 100 frames. Agreed?

Oshyan

That sounds reasonable for speed, but it all depends on how it *looks*, of course. ;)

- Oshyan

Dune

The more I dive into this, the more complicated the nodes get, but I think I almost got it nailed. This is a crop sequence to test, and in the meantime I have reduced the flow speed, as this avi is set at 20 frames per second instead of 30.
I got some slower foam near the river's edge, some 'stagnant' foam behind the rocks, etc.

N810

WOW  :o

Hey Plannetside,
this need to be a preset node in the next version.  8)
Hmmm... wonder what this button does....

Oshyan

That does indeed look very good! Hopefully you can easily retarget it for 30fps.

- Oshyan

Dune

Next (nr 7) try. Low in quality (0.4), but only a POP.

On Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/59302161