water test

Started by Dune, February 03, 2013, 10:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

otakar

Mighty impressive. So now you're into animation, Ulco?

Dune

Not really, as it takes too much time, even on my i7, to render nice large animations. I did this with a simple colored fake water and a reflective shader, no water shader (though I might try how that goes). This is merely trying to get something into the Ponte Salario file, for Oshyan to make the animation a tad more realistic. This render took 5 hours, and I'm not a very patient guy.

bla bla 2

Oshyan

I think you've pretty much nailed it Ulco. that looks really good. I'd like to try it with transparency, although I doubt it would be visible in the animation (unless I go out of my way to make it visible... hehe).

- Oshyan

Dune

With transparency, but it's not what I expected. I miss the small wave movements, maybe forgotten after all the changes I made. A bit of a disappointment, took a long time to render. I'll try something with a fake transparency, which is probably a lot faster. I did use the dope sheet for the first time, works great.

It's on vimeo here: https://vimeo.com/59471754 Too big to add as attachment here.

Oshyan

Perhaps still processing or something? It says unavailable... Cool you were able to render it so far, or maybe you already planned to see it with transparency and so were rendering it by the time I responded? Always one step ahead of me. :D

- Oshyan

Dune

It should be there now, Oshyan. I indeed already planned the transparency, but also upped detail from 0.4 to 0.5 and larger frames.

Oshyan

Yeah, I did eventually get to see it. I think it actually looks pretty good. Like you said, lacking in smaller scale details and roughness a bit, but that should be easily resolved. I think the transparent version looks overall more realistic for that scale of stream. The way it moves slower (or appears to) at the edges is really impressive.

- Oshyan

Dune

Hope it just fits..... no... so up to vimeo, but the quality will be decimal. For some obscure reason my Virtualdub won't compress using xvid anymore, while it used to work.

In about 44 minutes it's here: https://vimeo.com/59799222

Oshyan

Hmm, it's rather hard to compare with such a different angle and lighting. I honestly feel like previous versions looked a bit better, but again the changes in setting make it hard to say for sure. I trust your judgment though, so if you feel it's an improvement, that's good. :)

- Oshyan

Dune

Well, it won't be the main focus anyway, so I'll send you the file, so you can get to work  ;) It's very vague in detail, the vimeo presentation, it doesn't show the smaller waves very well. Maybe you have a chance to better see it if you render a small test.

zaxxon

Certainly impresses the heck out of me! The last one works very well, but I think the prior one was a little more 'realistic', but given the resolution hard to really evaluate. The submerged rocks look great, and the partially submerged ones that the water 'ebbs and flows' over work really well (really well!), not so much the more exposed rocks along the bank. The lack of deflection and swirl with the water seeming to flow under and thru the rocks is a bit awkward (at least for me). Still, with the right camera view this is dynamite stuff! Wow! Love to see a "Stream Pack" at NWDA!

Dune

I think I can do a lot more regarding your observations, but this stream is part of a more complicated landscape, and I can't for instance (just in this case) have the flow run 'with the river'. And I took out all vegetation and some other stuff, just for testing the water. In a different setup I think it's possible to have more realistic flow over and around 'boulders' at the shores. I might take up that challenge...

Seth

awesome job so far !
goddamn, that is close to getting real !