strange render artifacts in clouds

Started by ronthedon, February 08, 2013, 10:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronthedon

Hi guys,

I've been through most of the pages in the TG2 Support forum and couldn't find an answer so I am starting a new thread hoping I haven't missed anything.

As the title states I am getting weird render artifacts in my clouds when the sun starts hitting them (it's a sunrise animation).

With my own renderspeed optimized settings the issues (most visible when the sun starts to cast some godrays) look like this[attachimg=1]

After applying some "optimisations" as suggested by Oshian I found here: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=14645.0 it seems to have gotten worse whilst rendertime went up: [attachimg=2]

I have played around with a few things like cloud quality, bucketsizes, subdiv cachesizes, ... but nothing seems to fix it.
I did try to render the image with only one thread out of available 8 and the testrender fixed it, however running the full sequence with the same settings gave me the stuffed results again. 

thanx for any help and pointers
cheers
Ron

P.S.:I'm on Win7 x64 and recently updated to TG 2.5 and also tried it on MacOSX with the same results

RArcher

In your cloud layers there is a setting for "Acceleration Cache" - Set this to Conservative or None.  This should sort things out.

ronthedon

Hi Ryan,

I've had it on conservative and never had to go below that before, BUT you were right none seemed to have fixed the issue.  Unfortunately render times are up even more now.

thanx for the tip though - very much appreciated.

cheers
Ron

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: ronthedon on February 08, 2013, 02:22:38 PM
Hi Ryan,

I've had it on conservative and never had to go below that before, BUT you were right none seemed to have fixed the issue.  Unfortunately render times are up even more now.

thanx for the tip though - very much appreciated.

cheers
Ron

As this is likely the single fix for the issue you may consider reverting all the previous unsuccesful fixes you have introduced which made it render slower.

ronthedon

Jep, I ended up doing exactly that last night and am back to acceptable rendertimes :)

Thanks for the hint though.