Waterfall

Started by Hannes, February 12, 2013, 12:37:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Looking even better Hannes :)

If you have enough frames and would increase MB length you could even make it look like a long-exposure photo :)

TerrMite

Beautiful scene Hannes,

Good balance of the colours and the light.

Cheers

Dune

That is indeed much better, although I still think there are some large 'lumps' of foam/water in the air. What if you warp a cloud layer according to the rock/fall layout? Those 'particles' are nice and small.

mhaze

Much better perhaps a little soft. Love the lighting, I'm also impressed by those rocks.

Hannes

Thanks, guys. Dune, what do you mean by warping a cloud layer according to the rock/fall layout? I have not the slightest idea, how I could do that  :(

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Hannes on February 13, 2013, 05:25:09 AM
Thanks, guys. Dune, what do you mean by warping a cloud layer according to the rock/fall layout? I have not the slightest idea, how I could do that  :(

I think he means something in the line of converting your rock-displacements to a scalar and use that as altitude offset function for cloud layer.
This way, with proper values for altitude offset, your cloud will tend to follow your rock faces.
An additional warp shader can add wisps and the like.

But, honestly, I'm not completely sure if Dune (mr. sss/warp ;D) means this.

Dune

That's what I meant. Without warpers, my life would be miserable  ;)

inkydigit

looks great!
love the colours!
:)

Hannes

Ah, that's what you mean. I already used that altitude offset thing in other projects. That might work. But how do I convert my rock-displacements to a scalar? Gotta admit that I haven't yet understood this function stuff. Embarrassing, I know... :-[

Tangled-Universe

Nothing to be emberassed about as these things aren't discussed that often or aren't documented in an other way.

"Compute terrain --> Displacement shader to vector --> Length to Scalar" should give you the scalar value of every point's vector.

Scalar = point in space with a value/magnitude
Vector = point in space with a value/magnitude + direction

So the reason that this works is because for an altitude offset function you need "altitude" which is a scalar (hence, altitude has no "direction").
What you need is to have the terrain represented in scalar values for displacement, so you need to strip the vector of its direction as this is not important and not applicable to a scalar.

Hannes

Thank you for the explanation, TU! Very much appreciated!

Dune

Thanks, Martin. You beat me to it.