How to?

Started by TheBadger, January 30, 2013, 07:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hi,

I want to add a little over hang near a vertical depression in a surface. I want to be able to populate grass on the over hang.

Pretty much just like this image.

Can you help?

[attach=1]

In simple terms, what is the easiest way to do this. I would use an image map for the depression, or a Simple Shape.
It has been eaten.

Dune

If you blend them by height, and displace you might get there. I'll experiment a little.

Dune

Back again with a quick setup. Enjoy!

TheBadger

Sorry for the delay, Ulco.
Thanks much for thinking on it! I'll will be glad to take a look the solution you have given.

I'm curious to know if you think, based on your file, if you think shrinking the scale will effect my ability to get similar results? As you know it can be difficult to get the same features from a 2 mile high tower (inverted crater) onto a 200 foot spire.

Of cource, I can just play and find out. But if I cant get it to work, that does not man it does not work. Just that Im a luddite  ;D

Dont spend your time trying to do it. Im just curious what your thought are. A vote of confidence that it will work just fine at "stream", or "side of the road size", will be enough for me to spend as much time on it as it takes.

By the way, the image looks good. Will likely be perfect for me.

Thanks a lot, again!  :)
It has been eaten.

Dune

How wide and deep would you like your valley and how big the overhang? And would you like it straight or warped into bends?

TheBadger

no wider than a road like the ones you are making. maybe even only overhung on one side, or rather, a quarter pipe instead of a half pipe. Then it can be used on a hill next to a path. or a dry river bed/wash.

I am trying to find an image of what I mean, for the side of the road part. For a stream its just like you made, but smaller.
I am pretty sure that in the LOTR; fellowship. This look I am after is on the road when they first run into the ring monster on the horse. just before they jump down into the tree, they were looking down the road. But I cant remember for sure, and I cant find an image of that moment, but here is a shot just after the part I am taking about, if it helps.

It has been eaten.

Henry Blewer

I use a power fractal for the blending shader. Check the black color checkbox in the color tab. Set the top slider to 1. Now use the 2nd slider to adjust the mix.

One the scales. Use the size of the the feature you want in the scale input. The lead in scale needs to be large, try 10,000 to start. You need to set the smallest scale to something like 1 or 10. It's only a mask, so it doesn't have to be to precise.

You can use this same power fractal as the blending shader for further displacements. I do the larger scale ones first, then work down to the detailed ones.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

I tried to get what you want, Michael. This more like it?

cbshort

TheBadger

Yes that really does have some nice stuff going on, Ulco. Good work!
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Got the file Ulco, thanks!
It has been eaten.