Forget Extinct: The Brontosaurus Never Even Existed

Started by DannyG, December 22, 2012, 12:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masonspappy

Drat! Now everyone episode of The Flintstones will need to be refilmed to maintain authenticity ;D

TheBlackHole

They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

DannyG

Quote from: TheBlackHole on December 22, 2012, 10:52:06 PM
I thought this was old news.

Its been floating around the news lately, I figured I post it, but yes this isn't breaking news.
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

PabloMack

If it is any consolation, the decommissioning of the genus "Brontosaurus" has freed the root up as a common name for the group of sauropods of the family Diplodocidae. So instead of the more formal usage as in "Apatosaurus is a robust diplodocid" you can instead say "Apatosaurus is a robust brontosaur". Everyone in the paleontology community will know what you are talking about and should not object. So this usage broadens the term and you can then say that "Diplodocus is a more gracile brontosaur". Some might even broaden the term further (at the expense of clarity) and use "brontosaur" as a synonym for the word "sauropod". Then everyone, even the common folk walking the streets will know what you are talking about. This would be true in English. I don't know about other languages.