Probleme de rotation ?

Started by bla bla 2, September 20, 2013, 10:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bla bla 2

Why when I want to turn the shader array with a sss, don't the stairs be aligned ?

I want to turn them at 60 degree. But I have a right angle...

j meyer

Some quick tests suggest that there might be a problem with the shader array.
Especially in conjunction with displacement on for the SSS.
If you use the displacement of the shader array there is no offset of displacement,
but there are still some color oddities.
So it may be best to use the SSS and shader array set up to mask a surface layer
and displace that and then rotate the result with a transform shader.

dandelO

I can't reproduce the error, it works perfectly here, either with the 'colour as displacement' function or just with displacement enabled in the simple shape.
Rotating the shape shader turns each instance of the shader on its array-grid position, while rotating the array shader rotates the entire grid, just as I'd expect.
The shape shader's 'position key' doesn't even seem to make a difference, I thought it might but apparently not.
As for displacement offset, the offset must be added in the shader applying the displacement, if the 'colour as displacement' optiom is checked offset should be added in the array shader, if it is unchecked and the shape shader is adding its own displacement the offset should be added to the shape shader.
Unless I'm missing something, I can't see where the problem is...

An option to rotate around the array centre, instead of just the bottom left corner, would be good, maybe you're expecting the array to be turning around its centre and because it isn't and rotates from the corner it seems like rotation doesn't operate correctly? I can't think of anything else.

bla bla 2

J'ai fait comme ça.
:)

j meyer

Interesting set up.
I don't know what exactly you want to achieve,but I think you want to have
a 60 degree angle of the step elements at the end somehow.Something like
a spiral staircase or so,I guess.
The shader array will not do that for you,I'm afraid.(to better understand what the
shader array does set your SSS to polygon, 6 sided)
You will have to do that "manually" either with more than 1 SSS or with transform
shaders and thus rotate the single elements one after the other.
So start with one SSS masking a surface layer,then the next one rotated 60°,
the next one again rotated 60° and so on,for example.

Martin,in case you're still reading this,the offset I was refering to was an offset between
the displacement and the coloring(and a weird shadow? or something).Should have made
that clearer the first time,sorry.

dandelO

Hi, Bastien. You seem to have displacement enabled in both the shape AND array shaders. Only one is needed,  the shape shader has no amplitude, it isn't applying any actual displacement to begin with, although, you do have an offset of 100m in the shape displacement offset field, I'd use the offset of the array node for that, but I also see an offset of 1m there, too. A strange setup, indeed!
I'm still not sure what the problem is, other than the row/column spacing being much smaller than the actual shape dimensions(I assume you want the array to be stepped), have you tried removing the shape shader rotation and applying 60 degrees to the array rotation? That gives the result in the next post...

dandelO

Using array rotation instead gives me this, is that the result you were looking for?