Frank's Free Edition Road WIP Thread

Started by FrankB, February 24, 2013, 12:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Ha! I like the roadkill idea  :D
If someone would lend me a spare, gory model of a goat run over by a truck, that would be appreciated ;-)

FrankB

Today I have spent some time on the road texture itself. I have added cracks and rubber marks to the paint and some trickery here and there. OK, so here is a crop of the render of the road. I will keep the sky undisclosed until the very last. ;-)

I haven't attended to any other elements of the scene so far. As you can see it's still the default grey terrain. Everything so far though is strictly using what's possible with the free edition, except that in the final version, I will have render large (in crops), with AA3, and then decrease the image size back to the 800 pixel constraint.

Last comment: I will dial back the displacement around the cracks and also fade them out in the distance. I forgot to do that here.

FrankB

Having a slight hold up... I have a particluar vision for the sky, but it's putting up quite a fight at the moment.

FrankB

Hmm, I have to admit defeat on a sky setup that I intended to use. The issue is that I can't get this to look photo real. I can make it look interesting, but not photo real. So I canned it. Period.
I will now go back  to working on the road, then the terrain and final POV.

gregsandor

Quote from: FrankB on March 06, 2013, 10:10:19 AM
Hmm, I have to admit defeat on a sky setup that I intended to use. The issue is that I can't get this to look photo real. I can make it look interesting, but not photo real. So I canned it. Period.

I've seen skies in real life that were so spectacular that if I had seen them in photos I wouldn't have believed them.  Give it a shot, lets see it.

FrankB

Ok, so here is an updated version. Overall , I am pretty much satisfied with the road, but will fine tune a few things that aren't perfect enough yet.

Just FYI: this is still 100% compliant with the Free Edition limitations of Terragen 2, except that larger render size.

The sky is ok-ish. It's not the one I was working on earlier and then failed - this is another one, an overcast sky this time around.
After the road fine tuning, I will attend to the surrounding terrain. POV may change also, but I believe I will keep it relatively close to the ground. Which is a challenge in itself, as it's much harder to make things look photo real on close up.

Anyway, I will keep at it.

Frank

FrankB

Quote from: gregsandor on March 06, 2013, 01:15:42 PM
Quote from: FrankB on March 06, 2013, 10:10:19 AM

I've seen skies in real life that were so spectacular that if I had seen them in photos I wouldn't have believed them.  Give it a shot, lets see it.

I totally agree here, Greg. I too have seen skies that people wouldn't believe exist.
However, the one I was trying to make... I think it is not possible at photo real quality in TG2. It's the required scattering and shape control that cannot be done in TG2 atm.
Check this out, and feel free to give it a shot: http://www.yellmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/hymn_of_a_broken_man_cover.jpg

Cheers,
Frank

cyphyr

Would it be cheating to use an image as a Blend shader and/or a final density modulator?
Hmm ?:)
Richard
10 min, I'm sure much better could be done but the limitations of the free version may make it not possible
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

FrankB

That's not even close, Richard  ;D

On the other hand I am sure it can't be done in 10 minutes.
Actually I am sure it cannot be done exactly like the real thing at all in TG2. Not that up close.

Cheers,
Frank

cyphyr

Now your just setting me up for a challenge.
I shall try to avoid it :)
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

FrankB

Quote from: cyphyr on March 06, 2013, 06:11:21 PM
Now your just setting me up for a challenge.
I shall try to avoid it :)

No seriously, I mean it. But feel free to try.
(Never wrong to sidetrack a competitor) ;)

cyphyr

Pretty sure that you should be able to achieve an effect like your linked image using a combination of Blend shader and/or a final density modulator either with an image a a basis or PF's.
It would certainly be cool if it could be done, it's a sweet atmospheric image (actually the sort of thing I'm looking for for my "roadside" entry for over the desert).
:)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

FrankB

Quote from: cyphyr on March 06, 2013, 06:33:06 PM
Pretty sure that you should be able to achieve an effect like your linked image using a combination of Blend shader and/or a final density modulator either with an image a a basis or PF's.
It would certainly be cool if it could be done, it's a sweet atmospheric image (actually the sort of thing I'm looking for for my "roadside" entry for over the desert).
:)
Richard

oh what a coincidence, then :)

I would certainly like to see it done. Good luck!