Frank's Free Edition Road WIP Thread

Started by FrankB, February 24, 2013, 12:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Yeah, I really think if you want a crash, and for the crash to look real, you got to use a car model that was modeled as a crash. Actually, that would be pretty nice, maybe there is one out there for you. Modeling cars seams to be a favorite subject for people, you should see if you can find a free one Frank, I don't know where to look though.

Everything else in your image is shaping up real nice though!
It has been eaten.

FrankB

@Oshyan: perhaps you get that impression about the road in the distance because of the angle towards the sun together with its reflectivity. However it comes out like that from Terragen, so I suppose in these particular conditions, maybe that's just how it would look like?

@Jo: I agree the DOF is interesting. Next time I will calculate a proper z-depth mask for the DOF.

@Michael: I think the car doesn't have to be broken, at least not necessarily on the sides the camera can see. I envisioned a driver who maybe got sleepy and then steered the car to much to the side, bumped up on a smaller rock and then landed on a larger one. The only thing the camera would notice is the weird position of the car and some hot water smoke coming out from its hood...
Maybe though I might put it back on the road, we'll see :-)

cheers
Frank

FrankB

Hey guys, I'm back from my trip the last week. I'm looking to get back into the contest image, and I will, but I think I will use some of the next few days to finalize (finally) the Terra Planet Pack. I think I got it to a point where I am really happy with it's V1 features and quality. I don't want to make this a planet pack post, really, I just get excited when I start talking about it.

Now, as I said, I still have some ideas for the road image, so I am going to play around with these ideas a little bit. At this point I think I don't have to add anything big, it's more about the little things now. For example, I'd like to see a few irregularities and some rock formations somewhere in the outback. An abandoned shed perhaps, AND I would like some extra deformation for the tarmac.. you'll see.

Anyway, hope everyone is still enjoying the contest! It's amazing to see what you're all capable off once we all set our minds on a challenging goal!

Cheers
Frank

FrankB

Here is  a little update (not final render quality) or where I am at.
I just picked it up again recently, after a longer (forced) break.

I have added a WM terrain on the left and the wooden house on the right, thinned out the bushes populations and grasses, and added some clouds. The road got a little overhaul, too, but I want to eventually reduce the amount of cracks significantly.
There is no DOF in the image yet.

It's still all compliant with the free edition limitations, except having rendered larger without stitching crops, and used some higher AA this time, instead of rendering larger and then reducing the image size of the result.

It's three pops, and some single hand placed objects.

Cheers,
Frank

Dune

FrankB

Quote from: Dune on April 08, 2013, 01:58:21 PM
I think the house is a bit small?

actually, not small than it should be. Perhaps you compare it with the cactus? That is almost 5 m tall. The wooden house is not very tall.

Oshyan

A big change, but I really like it, pretty much all for the better in my view. Love the new bit of eroded terrain in the background. Are you using free version limitations of that too? ;)

- Oshyan

Dune

I compare it with the lane width, which is max 3.5m? So the house is about the same width (by the looks of it). Anyway, that's my idea.

FrankB

Quote from: Dune on April 09, 2013, 02:13:08 AM
I compare it with the lane width, which is max 3.5m? So the house is about the same width (by the looks of it). Anyway, that's my idea.

hmm.... you might be right about that! I'll check it out before the final render!
Thanks!

FrankB

Quote from: Oshyan on April 09, 2013, 02:10:13 AM
A big change, but I really like it, pretty much all for the better in my view. Love the new bit of eroded terrain in the background. Are you using free version limitations of that too? ;)

- Oshyan

The eroded terrain is just a WM heightfield, that I positioned there, resized, and merged with the procedural terrain.

Cheers
Frank

Oshyan

Well yeah Frank, but is it 513x513... or more? :D

- Oshyan

FrankB

It's 512, but in the final render it will be 2048. It will also be joined by a sister formation on the other side of the road  :)

TheBadger

House feels real small to me to Frank. Maybe just move it closer?
It has been eaten.

FrankB

I've checked the house, the size is perfect, but the descending road fools the eye. Anyway, I made the house 20% larger to address that somewhat, although I should not.

Here is a little update. Still too many cracks, though.

Cheers
Frank

choronr

Now this one grabs me, nice work Frank. One thing though, I think the weeds trapped in the cracks should be straw colored since they get little or no moisture or nourishment; maybe a few could be green.