otakar's WIP (old road)

Started by otakar, February 26, 2013, 01:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

otakar

Here's a start. Quite boring maybe... Still very much experimenting. No blacktop for me though  ;D

FrankB

that's too is an interesting start! This type of road texture and geometry is intriguing. Looking forward to the next steps!

Frank

otakar

And now for something entirely different, here's Take 2.

otakar

Back to the original setup. Mountains in the distance. That might work.

otakar

Bouncing back. Just a grass/veggie foray. Not happy with this, it's way too raw, but it's a WIP thread after all ;). Network's already a giant mess. Changed the width of the road by adjusting the main color adjust shader and everything got out of alignment. Will have to label things more clearly and give some thought into the dependencies. Once you add more than a few populations it gets messy really fast.

FrankB

the line of water next to the street is a nice touch!

You may want to hide some of the network inside the internal network of a group, to keep things more clear.

Frank

TheBadger

^^Agreed.

Good thinking on a detail like that.
It has been eaten.

otakar

Take 3. Was playing with displacements (broken road) and could not resist adding plant life. Probably enough experimentation. Time to make up my mind what I want to model.

Hannes

These are great variations! Lokking forward to your progress!

otakar

Looky here, I have a plan! That's a first for me.  Let's see how much of that I can turn into reality :)

cyphyr

Glad you've dropped the tarmac  :)
I like this new direction, yellow brick road?
Richard :)
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

otakar

Going back to the original road, which needs to be credited to Ogre who supplied the maps for it. I thought that's a good decision since most everyone does the boring blacktop roads and mine will therefore stand out. Just kidding. ;) But it's good to be different.

otakar

Since everyone's so generous sharing their WIPs and despite the fact that I am not at the level of most posters here - some astounding renders so far - here goes the next iteration - just a crop - after much exhaustive masking, population placement and object scaling. It really is a challenge to create close-up scenes that look realistic as has been noted elsewhere.

I may return to the details here (so please feel free to make suggestions), but I am on to the more distant parts now, otherwise I will never get it done.

The hardest thing seems to be that you have to render it out in high quality to have a good look. What may come out ok with .65 detail setting and AA of 3 looks totally off (especially color mix-wise) with .85 detail and AA6 (makes sense of course). So quick low quality crop renders only go so far. Already takes about 70 minutes for a decent resolution and quality render, this will only go up now....

Dune

This is great! Nice 'flagstone' pavement. Keep it up!

FrankB

indeed, this is a great foundation. Lighting and colors are very nice already! That can be the hardest part. I too like the pavement, looks great.