So, who is participating?

Started by FrankB, March 01, 2013, 11:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hetzen

Just playing around with a few ideas at the moment.

Hannes

I'll be in. Just recovered from a bad cold, willing to be creative, but still not the slightest idea... :-\

choronr

Hi Frank,

I have a question. Now working with my image for the NWDA contest and are at the vegetation/population stage. I am using your Road/Tarmac file and wanted to connect my plant pops to the Road mask such that the plants will not appear on the road (I'd rather use this method instead of using the painted shader).

In one of Andy Welder's dirt road files he has an image map shader (hand drawn) where one can attach their plant pops (populator changes when you do this).

In your file, where would I connect the plant pops to achieve the same effect.
Would appreciate hearing from you on this. Thanks,

Bob

Dune

You should be able to use the mask for the tarmac, but inverted. At least that's how it works in my setup. You can also make a second 'road' simple shape, maybe a bit wider or softer, and use that (taken through a similar warp shader) with a color adjust, if you want your plants a bit off the road, or maybe growing just on the tarmac. Plenty possibilities.

choronr

Quote from: Dune on March 02, 2013, 11:46:32 AM
You should be able to use the mask for the tarmac, but inverted. At least that's how it works in my setup. You can also make a second 'road' simple shape, maybe a bit wider or softer, and use that (taken through a similar warp shader) with a color adjust, if you want your plants a bit off the road, or maybe growing just on the tarmac. Plenty possibilities.
Thanks Ulco. In Frank's setup, the Road Mask just consists of blue nodes; whereas, in Andy's setup, he uses and image map where one can easily attach the plant pops. I'm trying to figure out where I should attach the plant pops in Frank's setup.

gregtee

I have mixed feeling about the idea of in future contests requiring contestants to post wips.  I can see how it could easily motivate people to up their game when they see what they're up against, but it could also just as easily discourage some from participating if they see works in progress posted that are clearly above their skill levels, at which point they might just figure "why bother". 

Anyway, just a thought. 

-Greg
Supervisor, Computer Graphics
D I G I T A L  D O M A I N

inkydigit

I am still at the ideas stage...
hopefully an update for you all soon!
J
:)

FrankB

Quote from: choronr on March 02, 2013, 12:27:29 PM
Quote from: Dune on March 02, 2013, 11:46:32 AM
Thanks Ulco. In Frank's setup, the Road Mask just consists of blue nodes; whereas, in Andy's setup, he uses and image map where one can easily attach the plant pops. I'm trying to figure out where I should attach the plant pops in Frank's setup.

There should be some red shader named "soft outside road" mask or similar. Use this one!

Cheers
Frank

FrankB

Quote from: gregtee on March 02, 2013, 02:35:52 PM
I have mixed feeling about the idea of in future contests requiring contestants to post wips.  I can see how it could easily motivate people to up their game when they see what they're up against, but it could also just as easily discourage some from participating if they see works in progress posted that are clearly above their skill levels, at which point they might just figure "why bother". 

Anyway, just a thought. 

-Greg

Yes, that is the reason why we don't require it. Some people just don''t feel comfortable sharing at an early stage, fearing that they can't hold up with the standards posted by others, so we don't force it.
However, we keep encouraging folks to do exactly that, which they may feel a little insecure with in the beginning. In past contests, though, we have been able to demonstrate very clearly how well contest entries have evolved once they have been subject to public peer review, and the subsequent tips for improvement - all the while being a great and very interactive and entertaining learning experience for everyone involved. Not to mention the fact that WIP threads are what keep the contest "alive" over its course.

So we keep encouraging it, but not requiring it.

Frank

TheBadger

^^ Yeah, Im pretty intimidated "competing" with you guys.
I'm trying to just look at it as a way to force my self to produce something new, and hopefully high quality.
If I get that, I'll be happy, and if I win something that will be gravy on top.

Good rendering everyone!
It has been eaten.

Jo Kariboo

@ TheBadger,
You post rarely but all your image are good. Then you test does not have anything to lose, it's just a game the 3D. 
(sorry for my bad english)

FrankB

Quote from: Jo Kariboo on March 03, 2013, 01:06:14 AM
@ TheBadger,
You post rarely but all your image are good. Then you test does not have anything to lose, it's just a game the 3D. 
(sorry for my bad english)

I have to agree with this 100%

bla bla 2

TheBadger

Cheers fellas. I am on my way now!
It has been eaten.

jamfull

I finally started working on my entry today. I've been busy and away from terragen lately. All the WIP's look great so far. Seems to be setting the bar high. I'm hoping I have enough time to complete something as detailed as what is out there.

James