Road Trip 2013

Started by gregsandor, March 04, 2013, 02:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

gregsandor

Getting the terrain displacement maps fixed up a bit, going to build some new shaders and add a few layers.

Hetzen

I like these construction renders Greg. You can see the work clearly. It's almost like Lidar data.

gregsandor

Funny you should mention LIDAR; for the past 4 days I've been trying unsuccessfully to integrate some 1.5 m elevation data into the model.  The LIDAR is complete for the right half of my model, but the left half isn't.  It is tantalizing, but I'll have to wait until next year to get it.  What you see now is hand drawn displacement maps over a 10m dem. 

gregsandor

Figured it was time to resurface the drive and paint in the parking spaces at the diner. 

Dune

Will you still have time to put it all together? It's going to be fantastic, that's for sure. Do you work with complete image maps, I mean 100% of the total area, or partial maps which you move into the right area? What resolution maps do you use?

TheBadger

really want to see this one finished with high quality render!
It has been eaten.

inkydigit

I like the attention to detail here... looks great!
:)
Jason

gregsandor

Quote from: Dune on April 01, 2013, 01:59:48 PM
Will you still have time to put it all together? It's going to be fantastic, that's for sure.

Sure, its ready to shoot now; I've gotten good images out of it for a long time.  Now I'm just going in and refining, adding detail, replacing old data with newer higher res stuff, repainting maps, etc.

Quote from: Dune on April 01, 2013, 01:59:48 PM
Do you work with complete image maps, I mean 100% of the total area, or partial maps which you move into the right area? What resolution maps do you use?

It is a mix.  The whole model is more than 12 km on a side, the area of interest (and thus higher detail) is about 1.2 km sq.  Lower res maps for the distance, higher res stuff up close.  The road displacement and shader masks for example use 4 quads at 8192px sq. each to cover the AOI, so that's 16384px x 16384 px. 

Tangled-Universe

All in all impressive work, looking really forward to the final result for this contest as I presume a real final won't be possible with such a scene as this :)

I suppose loading this project into TG will take some time :)

By the way, if I may suggest, I would start rendering and tweaking a week before the deadline to figure out how to render this as photo realistic as possible.
In my experience this always takes a bit longer than expected.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Martin

gregsandor

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on April 01, 2013, 05:37:37 PM
I suppose loading this project into TG will take some time

It loads in under a minute.  Calculating populations takes some time, but the textures, masks and models have been pretty well optimized since the beginning so it loads and runs fast.

gregsandor

Another test render.

Dune

It's coming together just great. A little more randomness and 'dirt' will be needed though.

mhaze

Been watching this develop and all I can say is WOW!