Image map displacement on imported objects?

Started by pixo, March 20, 2013, 09:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixo

It appears that an image map in the displacement tab of the default surface shader for an imported object does not actually displace the geometry but rather acts only as a bump map.  Is this typical behavior or am I missing something?

Thanks

pixo

Oshyan

That is correct when Raytrace Objects is enabled; the raytracer does not currently support displacement on object geometry. Disable Raytrace Objects for true displacement. There are other disadvantages to this, and it must be done globally at this time (in the future we'll have a per-object option). TG2 can handle extremely high polygon objects however so if you can displace in another app and bake it as geometry, then export to TG in OBJ, that may be the better approach.

- Oshyan

pixo

Thanks Oshyan.  That's good to know and will save me a lot of time digging around in a still unfamiliar interface looking for the button I missed.  I'll look forward to the per-object option.

TheBadger

QuoteTG2 can handle extremely high polygon objects

Very,very,very well! Better than any other software I have used. TG2 takes millions and millions of polygons like nothing.
Just might need a lot of memory to open up the tgc once its been populated though.
It has been eaten.