Mor's Roadside WIP

Started by Mor, March 10, 2013, 09:54:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inkydigit

superb!
out of curiosity, what were the fill light settings?
cheers
Jason
:)

choronr

Sometimes, when all else fails, I'll take the pine needles into Photoshop and create a very light version and use them to lighten the tree.

Mor

Thanks again for your kind comments!

Quote from: choronr on April 08, 2013, 10:45:27 AM
Sometimes, when all else fails, I'll take the pine needles into Photoshop and create a very light version and use them to lighten the tree.

Thanks for the tip, I didn't thought of that possibility at all :)

Quote from: inkydigit on April 08, 2013, 09:57:45 AM
superb!
out of curiosity, what were the fill light settings?
cheers
Jason
:)

I increased strength of all lights to 0.2 and that's it :)

Quote from: Dune on April 08, 2013, 03:09:58 AM
Terrific. This now has winning chances, to say the least. I do think the shadows are a bit dark indeed, it's a bit harsher than the previous. And I think the translucency of the high trees is very low, they're very dark and you hardly see any detail in the top 'lumps' of needles/branches, if you know what I mean.

Yes, the dark trees were my main problem. I upped the translucency to 50 and it seems to be doing the job. We'll see soon :)

Quote from: Hannes on April 08, 2013, 12:32:18 AM
Oh yes, this is it! The plants look way better now with the fill light setup imho. Maybe a last suggestion: you could try the cubic B-Spline pixel filter in the renderer's extra tab to make it look a bit smoother. Otherwise no crits. Great image!

I'm now rendering a version with cubic B-spline to see the difference.

Mor

Here's something I would consider a final version (though there's still some days time to tweak :D). Didn't change much. Pixel filter is cubic B-Spline and I think little softer output is better than the previous version. Also the details in large pines in right side increased a lot. The clouds are also moved a bit. The shadows are still quite dark and I will try to postwork them a bit lighter.

Detail 0.9
AA 6
Rendertime ~3h

choronr

Looking even better ...keep on.

Dune

Super image. The shadows indeed still need some light. Especially under the few 'leaved' low plants (don't know what they are) near the road the shadows are really dark. Perhaps a 0.2 sun straight above no shadows will give these dark areas enough light? I don't know if higher translucency of the leaves will also let through more sunlight to the ground or that it only effects the object. Have to try that some day, now that I mention it.

Hannes

Maybe it's a matter of taste or a matter of monitor calibrating ;D. To me the shadows are perfect. After I just looked at your picture I had the impression that after your latest great improvements your landscape looks so good that the clouds may be a bit premature. At least to me. Maybe a tad more definition and contrast? I hope you don't mind my nitpicking ;)

Mor

Quote from: choronr on April 09, 2013, 01:08:28 AM
Looking even better ...keep on.

Thank you. I will :)

Quote from: Dune on April 09, 2013, 01:39:07 AM
Super image. The shadows indeed still need some light. Especially under the few 'leaved' low plants (don't know what they are) near the road the shadows are really dark. Perhaps a 0.2 sun straight above no shadows will give these dark areas enough light? I don't know if higher translucency of the leaves will also let through more sunlight to the ground or that it only effects the object. Have to try that some day, now that I mention it.

Those plants are coltsfoots from Walli's weed pack and actually their leaves are very thick and that's why they are so dark underside.

Quote from: Hannes on April 09, 2013, 09:00:09 AM
Maybe it's a matter of taste or a matter of monitor calibrating ;D. To me the shadows are perfect. After I just looked at your picture I had the impression that after your latest great improvements your landscape looks so good that the clouds may be a bit premature. At least to me. Maybe a tad more definition and contrast? I hope you don't mind my nitpicking ;)

Haha you are reading my thoughts. My main plan was to leave clouds very neutral and not to attract viewers attention. But now as there are still some days left, I might try to tweak them too :D

Obviously I can't stop making test renders. Here's the same version as previous, but rendered with soft shadows on.

Hannes

Oshyan

Soft Shadows is a big improvement. I miss the sharpness of previous versions, but I have never been a fan of Cubic B-Spline interpolation for the AA filter. It does not look so much less noisy or more natural as genuinely "soft" to me, like a poorly focused photograph. That being said, applying some minor sharpening to it might create an ideal result.

- Oshyan

Jo Kariboo

Better and better ! A very good evolution !  :)

Mor

I hadn't time to start tweaking the clouds, so the latest version is pretty much what I submitted. This has been great and fun journey on this road and I have learned so many things about Terragen 2 and pushed myself beyond my limits again and again. So, big thanks to everyone who commented and suggested directions to evolve this image, I wouldn't have done it without you! 

Paul

If i didn't know better I would swear that is a photo. Is the field crop a population? How long did it take to populate? I'm waiting 2 hours now just to populate a  few grasses.  Great job.

Mor

Quote from: Paul on April 13, 2013, 02:51:35 PM
If i didn't know better I would swear that is a photo. Is the field crop a population? How long did it take to populate? I'm waiting 2 hours now just to populate a  few grasses.  Great job.

Thanks :) Yes, the field is a population. It took few minutes populate and there is a little over 4 million instances.

mhaze