Winter morning lake

Started by Kevin F, March 10, 2013, 04:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin F

A new one.
C&C welcome.
Trees X-frog modified.

zaxxon

A lovely and tranquil scene. I'm really intriqued by the ice formations and the color and shape detail. Very nicely done.

otakar

Lovely! Great atmosphere to this one. I'd have left out the cracks in the ice, or at least greatly masked them out. I think it would feel calmer, but the only way is to rerender and compare.

Dune

The lighting is superb, I really like the low mist  and complete setup. I agree about the cracks, but you might want to make some bigger cracks, really big (10x this), and perhaps reduce the reflectivity of the smooth ice.

ratfugel

Nice one Kevin.  However, I'd crop off the bottom third altogether and lower the mist slightly on to the lake itself. Mist's actually a bit too evenly spread for my taste. However, the overall effect is very promising.

TheBadger

The only thing not working for me is the cracks.
It has been eaten.

TerrMite

Great scenery but, hopefully the spring is here soon ;-)

This image reminds me of how it looks in the beginning of the winter. Fresh ice which nobody or nothing has touched yet.

Like the green white ice material. Looks realistic.

Cheers

Kevin F

Thanks for the comments folks,
@zaxxon I'll put the tgd file for the ice formations in the shared area.

@ all who don't like the cracks - here's one without.

@Dune what do you mean by increase the cracks? do you mean up the scale for the voronoi by 10 or increase the width of the cracks by ten but at this scale? Either way they don't look good.

zaxxon

Looks 'cleaner' without the cracks, but it's a delicate proposition to judge the artist's intent for the overall composition. How much 'real' cracks or 'fractionalizations' would ice in that condition have? (in the vein of "photo-realism'). It's the mood of the scene that I like foremost, and the ice really accentuates the simple calm of the background. I'm looking forward to what you do to 'finalize' this one, and thank you in advance for the file!

Lady of the Lake

I like the image better with the cracks.  To me that looks more "real".

Dune

Without the cracks it's much nicer, but I meant having the voronoi 10x as big indeed, so one 'uncracked piece of ice' would maybe be a meter or so, then very narrow and not overall, but blended by a fractal, so narrow but extensive cracks appear here and there.

pclavett

This is a lovely image and also like the one without the cracks better...this is very good work ! Your terrain and vegetation is simply perfect.....BTW did those trees come with the snow or did you add it with other nodes ??? Thanks for sharing this image !
Paul

Kevin F

Quote from: pclavett on March 15, 2013, 11:08:38 PM
This is a lovely image and also like the one without the cracks better...this is very good work ! Your terrain and vegetation is simply perfect.....BTW did those trees come with the snow or did you add it with other nodes ??? Thanks for sharing this image !
Paul

Thanks, I prefer the cracks version myself. The veg is two populations placed in almost exactly the same location (same seed), one with snow added and one without. I find that this offset placement gives nicer results than with one fully or partially snow covered population. The offset of the two pops can be adjusted to your liking, giving different effects.