Generate islands based on map with outlines?

Started by Dnor, March 25, 2013, 08:25:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dnor

I have a map with islands that I would like to do 3D models of. Is there a way that I can set the outlines of the islands and generate a landscape based on these?

How do one in general shape the outline of "islands" (the parts sticking out of the water)?

Hetzen

Dnor

Quote from: Hetzen on March 25, 2013, 11:41:22 AM
Could you give us an example of your map?

Not at the moment, no, because it was drawn by hand with text and all scanned as it is and useless right now  :)

But when I've remade it, it will be a map with outlines of islands, just a plain line marking the borders of the islands.

If I need to do anything else with the map to get it to work with the program it is probably doable.

Edit:
It is found at the bottom of my blog here: http://writerofmoviescripts.blogspot.com/

Hetzen

You could fill in your island shapes then blur the image in 16bit to create a soft mask that blends some mountain/hill size fractals. It would get a little more complicated to do if you had specific ranges of features.

There's a nice tool in TG that allows you to draw contour lines on terrain.

If you're at an early stage with this, then you could use TG to create the map as well.

Dnor

Thank you very much. I'll test around and see what works best. It is a tremendous start to know it is doable in the first place  8) .