Detail in shadow

Started by yossam, March 12, 2013, 03:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

Quote from: Oshyan on March 24, 2013, 09:49:40 PM
What you need is Ambient Occlusion. To be honest I'm not sure just how capable the Enviro Light is in AO mode, but it's worth trying, add a second Enviro Light and set it to Ambient Occlusion. Clearly the other approaches aren't feasible and I wouldn't recommend them (e.g. massive amounts of fill lights, etc.).

The Enviro Light in AO mode has the same limitations on capturing high detail as it does in GI mode, as it still uses the GI cache. Both depend on the GI settings.

I am working on some solutions to this problem.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

cyphyr

This isn't intended as a solution but it can add a degree of realism to shadowed areas. Use two or more sun lights in the same position with varying amounts of Soft shadow. The top image below (using a model from the site mentioned above) is lit with three lights, one set to Soft Shadow = 0.5, the next set to Soft Shadow = 15 and the third set to Soft Shadow = 45, the light intensity is 1.5 on each.
The second image has an additional bluish light at 90deg elevation.
Other more varied settings will give more effects.
:)
Richard

ps: Oh and don't forget to turn OFF Specular Highlights and Glow in Atmosphere for all lights that are NOT the main light source (unless of course you want multiple glows and highlights in your scene)
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

bobbystahr

I think it still appears to float and I've run into that as well. Even when a vehicle is really 'sitting on the the ground' it will seem to be not as in real life there is a slight flattening at the bottom of the tire where 'the rubber meets the road' and this is a problem for realism in all 3D apps I've tried......
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

cyphyr

Yes it dose appear  to foat, this render wasn't really trying to address that issue (and I agree with your solution) but rather the problem with shadowed areas becoming flat and un-detailed. It works to a degree but is by no means perfect!
It would certainly be better with a better textured  model including the flattened tyres you mention.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Hannes

Oshyan's default fill light setup (three lights) with soft shadows (diameter: 50) checked, which increases rendertimes a lot (2:42 hrs). Less than the advanced fill lights and not bad looking to my taste, but still not the perfect solution...

bobbystahr

Yup...that most def. the best yet...still tryin myriad things cuz I had a good setup on my now stolen computers that was working on vehicles and indoor stuff...I'll find it again cuz I found it once....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist