Up on the Ridge

Started by pclavett, March 11, 2013, 08:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pclavett

Hi to all !
Have been working on this one for what seems forever with the foreground rocks done in Blender3D and taken into TG2 as obj file and changed to tgo. Have had problems with the renders and you can check the Discussions section for this topic as I will ask the expert what created a lot of artifacts showing on the render but not constantly. First time that I felt a bit frustrated with TG2...not like another 3D software which occupies my frustration node 100% of the time !!!
The trees are from Frank Basinski's site at NWDA (HQ spruce and pines).....great items (reasonably priced) to get if you want to treat yourself to nice plants !!!
The bushes in the foreground are the one shared by Dune in the sharing section...beautiful plants Ulco ! Thanks for sharing !
Rest is a lot of nodes for texture and colour and the rest. Will likely rework this with more mood and atmo !
Thanks for looking and commenting !
Paul

cyphyr

The lighting on this is really good and the detail on the foreground rocks too.

looking forward to the next iteration :)

What were your render settings if you don't mind me asking?

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

pclavett

Hi Richard

The project was rendered as 4000x2000 pixels, detail of 1.0 and AA of 14 with sampling level of 1/4 first samples, pixel noise threshold 0.01 making this a max sample per pixel of 196 and min of 49!!! I had done a GI cache file with relative detail 2, sample quality 2 and blur radius 8 (nominal values). I adjusted the AA according to some tips given my Tangled-Universe in his Terralive webinar a month or so back.....very good conference for those who were not there and you can get it from previously published links.

You might wish to see some of the artifacts obtained during render for which I have no explanation: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,15798.0.html

Take care !

Paul

TheBadger

rocks do look nice!

I was just about to texture a terrain and fake stones with an image map for the first time my self, thanks for the inspiration. Hope it works for me too.
It has been eaten.

TerrMite

Good job with the terrain and the colouring.

The rocksurface to the left looks really good.

And of course do I like the warm soft light.

Cheers

Tangled-Universe

Great scene Paul :)
I think the foreground object is integrated very well into the scene, great stuff!

Quote from: pclavett on March 11, 2013, 09:53:53 PM
Hi Richard

The project was rendered as 4000x2000 pixels, detail of 1.0 and AA of 14 with sampling level of 1/4 first samples, pixel noise threshold 0.01 making this a max sample per pixel of 196 and min of 49!!! I had done a GI cache file with relative detail 2, sample quality 2 and blur radius 8 (nominal values). I adjusted the AA according to some tips given my Tangled-Universe in his Terralive webinar a month or so back.....very good conference for those who were not there and you can get it from previously published links.

You might wish to see some of the artifacts obtained during render for which I have no explanation: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,15798.0.html

Take care !

Paul

Wow, insane settings :)

You might perhaps go through the AA part of the webinar section again, because the settings you have used now is what I didn't recommend? or normally would recommend.
If you look at the AA-comparison sheet I made you can see that for those objects and situation there's visually not much difference between pixel noise threshold 0.01 and 0.04. The only difference is rendertime, almost 2.5x faster with PNT 0.04.

If you go to the AA settings and change AA from default 2/3 to 8 then you can see the PNT change to 0.0375.
This probably means that with AA8 you can remove noise to a PNT of ~0.0375.
A lower PNT requires more AA samples then if you follow those hints.

If you feel up to it, try this and compare in quality and especially rendertime:

Render detail 0.8
AA16 @ 1/16th first samples, noise threshold @ 0.025, Mitchell Netravalli filter. (now you're taking a minimum of 16 samples instead of 49)
I expect a 2x, maybe 3x faster render without noticeable loss of quality.

RichTwo

Paul - being one who thrive on seeing what TG2 can do, I must say I like the detail of the closer terrain.  not sure if it is localized or not but no matter.  Very eye-catching!
They're all wasted!

pclavett

Sorry Martin for understanding things in reverse !!! I have to re-listen to the conference for sure as I had understood that this gave more detail at little expense of render time which seem to be the opposite of what you meant !

I am still trying to figure out the cause of the blocky artifacts (http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,15798.0.html) that appear in the render and note that when I use a trimmed version of this project where I remove the other objects and populations the artifacts go away even I keep the PFs added to the Default Shader giving the material to the rock..... but taking these well performing artifact free tgo's into and replacing the same objects in the complete project file....the artifacts come back....there seem to be something corrupt in there somewhere that brings this on. If I remove the added items (PFs) and keep only the Default shader with the bitmaps textures.....everything come back OK. I will try this in another project at some point and see if I can figure what brings this on...probably naive in thinking that I can figure this out !

Thanks for the comments and help and realigning me on the AA issue !

Take care !

Paul

pclavett

Thanks Rich for the comments.....will do some further versions of this and post this latter !
Paul

ajcgi

This  makes for a really excellent view. The details in the rock are wonderful.

pclavett

Hi All
Another render with one of the terrains simply not generated...actually just a PowerFractal Terrain here and it does have its charm !
Again this has artifacts on the bottom foreground rocks....further discussed here: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,15798.0.html
Will post the one with the corrected artifacts as soon as rendered and note that on this one I did tone down the AA and saw no visible difference and render time much quicker 1 Thanks Martin for straightening me out !!!
Thank you for any comments and have a great weekend !
Paul
[attach=1]

Jo Kariboo

Very nice textures and colors, nice point of view !  :)