inky's 'journey's end'

Started by inkydigit, March 26, 2013, 07:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inkydigit

Well, after some unsuccessful starts, I decided to resurrect and refine an earlier scene of mine...
All well and good, until after 33 hours of rendering my mac has become unresponsive... The mouse pointer moves but that is it... It took 24 hours just to do the sky on a 1280 pixel width render... It looks great, but about a quarter left to do nothing is moving... What a nightmare!!!
What shall I do now? Leave the render for a while longer?
Reconsider the sky settings and lay out?
Or start with a new sky and re-render?
Not a happy bunny!
Cheers
Jason

cyphyr

I feel your pain! lol
24 hours to do the sky at 1280, well either it's the most incredible sky ever or maybe your render settings are a tad to high. I'd go back to the drawing board and see what gives.
Good luck
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Tangled-Universe

Yeah let's have a look at those settings and the overall scene so we can see what your scene requires vs what it is using now?

inkydigit

Thanks guys! I had to hit the kill switch on the mac... I'll do a smaller render to post here and re look at that sky(of course it was awesome!!)... Maybe send you a clipfile Martin...
Cheers
Jason :)

Tangled-Universe

Sure Jason, no problem.
Also don't forget to supply us with the render node's settings.

inkydigit

Ok, I have deleted problem nodes, (especially a low level ultra diffuse cloud!) which were causing problems... re-built the node network, and a render has finished, but, I have a render bucket discrepancy issue...is the easiest way to fix this; a crop render and comp in post-work, or another method?
cheers
Jason

FrankB

I'd try a crop. Should be fast to check out if that suffices.

inkydigit

Thanks Frank... I thought that would be quickest... I'll let you know how it worked out soon!
Cheers
Jason :)

inkydigit

quick answer is...no!
some post-work may help, but the obj I am using may need to be changed/altered as well...
:)

inkydigit

At long last! This image was saved from two composited .exr files (one full render and one crop), some selective erasing to eliminate the render bucket discrepancies... et voila!
Possibly some more tinkering to do... what do you folks think?
cheers
Jason
:)

Tangled-Universe

I don't know whether this one is eligible for the contest Jason as it's pretty much the same as a previous finished work from you:
http://browse.deviantart.com/art/Giant-s-table-285737444

I'll get back to you about this, ok?

Cheers,
Martin

inkydigit

? Ouch... I checked the rules, I guess it isn't clear... I haven't tried to mislead anyone... So if you could let me know soon, the clock is ticking! :))
Jason

inkydigit

As I stated in the opening post:  It is a refined and elaborated version of a scene, the pov's are slightly different also... I can supply you with the original tgd and the new one as well, if you like... What is the verdict?
Cheers
Jason
:))

Tangled-Universe

Hi Jason,

No stress.

At first sight, which is important, we didn't see much difference aside from the removal of a big cloud layer.
Especially I instantly recognised it which I probably couldn't if it would be altered more from the original.

It's correct that the contest rules don't provide in this and in retrospect it perhaps should have.
The reason it isn't in the contest rules is that we don't know any CG competition where old finished/published work is allowed as submission.

Therefore we would like to encourage you to keep on refining this scene and setup into something "new".
For instance, Gregsandor also uses an old unfinished project which he's revamping for this contest into something "new".

If you have any questions then please let us know :)

Martin

inkydigit

Hi Martin, no, no stress... Just keen to go forward, I have commitments that restrict the amount of time I can spend on this project... Now that clarifies things for me.... Now I can work out where to go next...
Cheers
Jason
:))