Grand Canyon TERs

Started by bigben, May 27, 2007, 09:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

Links to this terrain set have been moved to: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=1762.0

The last two look really useful for creating masks for different vegetation cover (esp. farms) and tree distributions and are indexed colour :)
[/quote]

[attachthumb=#1]

Following on from http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=1574.0 Here is a link to my terrains..

Enjoy

Ben
PS. Almost forgot the demo QTVR:
http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~bernardk/tgdemo/big_ditch.mov 325kb

Buzzzzz

Thanks Ben! You are a real asset to the Community! And I'll be sure to Credit you if I produce anything I Post with your work included.  :)

Sethren

These are nice, thank you kindly. I see the Great Basin/Range in there to. I am obsessed with the whole fault-block formations in Nevada although the Alluvial Fans are the really hard part to do. This will give me a better understanding on how to re-create these synthetically. The Grand Canyon is nice to of course.     ;D

bigben

Quote from: Sethren on May 27, 2007, 11:59:20 PM
These are nice, thank you kindly. I see the Great Basin/Range in there to. I am obsessed with the whole fault-block formations in Nevada although the Alluvial Fans are the really hard part to do. This will give me a better understanding on how to re-create these synthetically. The Grand Canyon is nice to of course.     ;D

I'm not entirely sure which area you're refering to but if you like fault block formations I have another set of DEMs you're going to love based around Bitter Creek (the name from one of the DEMs)

[attachthumb=#1]
(from an old TER without the surrounding SRTM data)

I'm going through my other DEM archives as well. Working on Glacier NP at the moment. Having the low res detail for the horizon means I can now render views that I avoided in TG0.9 because of the sudden drop off... (especially Glacier NP near the Canadian border) and you can get a very wide coverage for the "cost" of a single 8193 TER.

Other data I have archived includes Yosemite, Choclate Drop, Monument Valley and of course the Tetons. Still haven't ventured up around Mt Hood, St Clair etc...  maybe later.

Server space is not really an issue for me at the moment so it's quite easy to share

Sethren

Quote from: bigben on May 28, 2007, 04:02:54 AM
I'm not entirely sure which area you're refering to but if you like fault block formations I have another set of DEMs you're going to love based around Bitter Creek (the name from one of the DEMs)

The "outer terrain" DEM in the upper far left corner. That looks like the great basin unless my eyes are playing tricks on me.     ;D

garcia

Thanks Ben,awesome work :o would there be a full sized heightmap of the terrain available for mask work????

Robert..

bigben

Yes... My workaround requires a conversion to GEOTIFF. Do you want just the largest terrain?  I'll also add a slope map which is useful for manually drawing rivers and selecting lakes (not many lakes in this one, but it's a big help in areas like Glacier NP)

bigben

Looks like I deleted them...  I can redo one tonight or you can use Terraconv to convert the TER to TIFF.  I have to load the data again anyway to generate the slope mask.

garcia

I can make one up,just thought you might have had one done...but knowing the order of each .ter in the square would help :)

bigben

Filenames are from highest res (00) to lowest (03). They are loaded lowest to highest res otherwise the low res would flatten the high res. I normally rename my heightfield nodes with the filenames, I got slack this time  ;)

ProjectX

That's a great terrain there, magnificent! Now if only we had a shader to make coloured strata for us. Hmm... I'll have a look at making one.

bigben

I'm in the process of updating my DEM data so if download time is a problem for you then I suggest waiting a bit.  I'm going to replace as much SRTM data as my RAM will allow with 1/3" NED from USGS. I'll also release a set of images for use in creating additional masks for each of my terrain sets.

• GlobalMapper Slope shader (for lakes and rivers)
  • NLCD 2001 Landcover
  • NLCD 2001 Canopy

The last two look really useful for creating masks for different vegetation cover (esp. farms) and tree distributions and are indexed colour :)

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

JDex

How did you accomplish the first attached render in the first post?  It appears to be a down-facing fisheye or dome master.

bigben

It's an equirectangular image remapped to a circular fisheye projection...  360 degree fisheye image. 

Stitching and remapping using Panorama Tools