Photoshop CS7 to be tablet only

Started by cyphyr, April 01, 2013, 06:21:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

DigitalArts on the upcoming Photoshop CS7 due to be released in a year:

Photoshop CS7 to be tablet only with exclusive screenshots.

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Zairyn Arsyn

april fools...  :)

fooled me for a min.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

efflux

Joke as this may be, the sad reality is that there is a bunch of stuff for drawing on tablets, ipads etc but it's all pretty useless. Photoshop on the other hand is too bloated. I've still got an old TC1100. Some Linux apps work great on that with proper Wacom screen. Ipads and such like are still rubbish in comparison and now I've got problems with latest Linux kernel. Ten year old tech superior to new tech, ridiculous.

TheBadger

This had me fooled for the first paragraph (I did not even think to question it. I was even ready to get really pissed off! But than I thought it was too stupid to be true. And when I scrolled down and saw the images I felt relief and was able to laugh.

Ahhh, what an emotional journey.
It has been eaten.

Walli

well, but Adobe products are now cloud only, means you only can lease the software. Has some nice aspects, but also some bad caveats, many angry (and potential ex-) photoshop users out there right now.

efflux

Adobe's new licencing is a joke for a few reasons. First, if you stop paying monthly it's all over, you can't use the software you were paying for. The other point is that casual users are never going to subscribe. They will either use a crack or use some other app. When the tools are out of reach to the average user then the user base is damaged and that is great for competitors including open source. I use Krita, Mypaint, Gimp and Inkscape. Krita has a very powerful brush engine. Better than Photoshop for painting.

Also, as far as I am aware, Adobe is moving operations to India. Is this a company you want to financially support?

mhaze

Which Linux distro would you recommend Efflux? I certainly won't be upgrading my photoshop CS5 - I assume I shall be able to continue to use it!

efflux

Linux is a bit problematic at the moment but I think it's coming out the other side of these problems soon. At one stage (around when Vista was out) things looked good for Linux. However, they have made some big changes. As you probably know there are lots of distributions. This isn't good but obviously there are a few popular ones. Mint is very popular now. The distributions tend to be forks of each other. Mint started as a fork of Ubuntu but now there are several varieties of Mint. One reason Mint was boosted in popularity is that Canonical (Ubuntu) brought in this Unity desktop. The idea being to make it good with touchscreens. I hate Unity and so do a lot of people. Gnome went from 2 to 3. Same thing in trying to make it touchscreen mobile device future proof but I think Gnome 3 is a little more acceptable to be honest. If you want a more standard desktop you can use Mint (they have stuck to the older theme of a desktop similar to Windows or OSX). My favourite is XFCE desktop. Nice and simple. Probably the closest to OSX.

It doesn't stop there with current issues. They are moving to systemd. I won't get into the details but it's explained here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemd

I use Arch Linux which is cutting edge. That means I'm using systemd. At first a pain but I must say my system runs extremely fast now. Boot times are just a few seconds from SSD.

I could go on about other problems but what I'd say is Mint is best if you want foolproof Linux with standard style desktop. Arch is best if you know more about Linux. In other words Arch is the absolute best in my opinion but not best until you know more.

There is another issue that seems to come up but I don't find this to be a major deal. Some proprietary software is released as binary for certain distributions as though you absolutely need that, for example Centos for Modo. This isn't truly the case. It just means that there may be a few libraries missing from other distributions. It's usually not a big problem. You can just drag and drop the executable to the console and hit enter. If a library is missing, it will tell you it needs it and you install it.

This leads to the next issue and another reason why I use Arch. Linux can get out of date quite quickly and you have to upgrade to next version. Arch doesn't work like that. It never gets upgraded but rolls forward. You have to check at the site every so often to see if upgrades need a few configurations here and there. It means I can always run every most up to date app on Arch. I will never ever need to reinstall the OS.

As I mentioned, Modo is Linux now. This is a huge boost.

As for Photoshop, I actually have the demo of CS6 on my Windows system to test since I heard about the licencing change. I was considering getting a version of CS6 and just sticking with it forever, like you say with CS5. Of course Adobe doesn't want you to do that hence the change. I can see why. Photoshop CS6 is very comprehensive. What more do you need? However, I compared to Linux alternatives and to be honest there is simply no point in Photoshop if you are using Linux, at least for most people.

My Arch system is pure 64 bit. You can install Windows apps via Wine and many work fine. However, it gets more complicated on Arch. I have no 32 bit libraries and can't be bothered to sort that out. In fact I did at one stage mess with this but it was a lot of trouble and I had some problems but on something like Mint I think you should be able to install 32 bit Wine even if it's 64 bit Linux. Wine is actually being developed for 64 bit but 32 bit Windows apps work best.

efflux

Basically I see Linux as kind of dead for most desktop users at the moment. What I mean by this is that the average computer user isn't going to choose Linux over current Windows or OSX. They are attempting to compete in mobile devices (iOS for example) and this has thrown Linux a bit off course for desktops because obviously the still remaining Apple desktops (Mini and iMac) work perfect out the box and Windows is now reasonably reliable. However, it means that people who will stick to powerful desktop systems will put in a little more time and see the Linux benefits for pro purposes such as 3D, high end 2D and movie production. For this, Linux is king now in my opinion. You just need to use a simpler desktop environment. You don't need all the eye candy bells and whistles.

efflux

Just another point in connection with Linux Photoshop alternatives. Anyone can use any open source app on Linux since there is no cost. This means you see a lot of not so good work but don't judge the apps on that. Krita in particular is brilliant for painting and I have gone between that and Photoshop to make comparisons. Just because the pros use Photoshop and hence the work is generally better doesn't mean Photoshop is leagues ahead. There could be some scenarios where Photoshop is better but for artwork type things it isn't. Krita also does high bit depth unlike Gimp. With TG2 EXR it seems there are some limits with adjusting levels etc but I need to test that further. You can do that in Blender though it's just not set up as an image editor. You have to use the node network. Of course my problem here is that TG2 is orphaned out on Windows. That's a pity because this is the only reason I have a Windows partition now. Having said that I've been working in all sorts of other areas rather than TG2 recently. I'm reinvigorated about Modo.

Mypaint is also an awesome little app similar in purpose to Sketcbook Pro.

TheBadger

You guys are still talking about cs7 and up right? I have cs6. So I should just stop thinking about ever upgrading then, because I hate the "cloud". I hate everything about it. I don't even like storing music in it. From the ground up I find it Orwellian. Screw Adobe then (and xbox, and so on...) I will look for alternatives. Makes me want to steal, and I hate stealing. But renting software is for morons.... Its even dumber than renting a house when buying will cost less, and you know you'll live there for 30 years or more.

I guess its about free upgrades forever, or thats what they say. But more often than not upgrades suck. I hate the new OSX, its shit. But I had to get it because they stopped updating the security on Snow. I liked snow a ton. But screw me I guess.

As soon as Linux is ready for a simpleton like me, I moving!
It has been eaten.

efflux

Well, I sold a house several years ago and now I rent. I'm financially way up now but that's another story.

As for renting software and the cloud, I completely agree. Miss one payment and all your work and files are finished unless you can open the psds in another app. Stick with your non rent Photoshop. It is very powerful so will last many years. Maybe other software will pick up a stack of users after this which will help them. Krita has been mentioned on many forums about this topic. Sometimes Gimp is mentioned as alternative. Gimp is really good but lacks some features. You can't edit high bit depth images for example and tools aren't fully multi threaded. This makes brushes poor. I'm sticking with Krita. They are developing a Windows version. I think that may not be great yet though. However, things move fast. I'm on Linux development version which has much better transform tool.

Dune

I don't like all the upgrades, I mean if you have to purchase a new edition, with new features you don't really need. OK, some are interesting, but the CS3 I'm working in now is fine for me. So is Word 2003. But when you get files from companies, which of course buy the newest software, I often have to ask to save as 'old version'. I can't open .docx, and some Illustrator files are too new, and won't open.
I don't like the cloud either. I want to have my stuff at home, all of it.

masonspappy

Quote from: Dune on May 30, 2013, 12:58:51 PM
I don't like the cloud either. I want to have my stuff at home, all of it.

AMEN!

efflux

Also, get ready to be paying or all your software this way, at least the software created by these big corporations. I don't really quite understand how this can be sustained. Surely too many people will just not go along with it? It's not like there are absolutely no alternatives.