New Planetside Site Layout?

Started by Blackheart6004, December 24, 2006, 04:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Planetside should have a new site layout?

Yes! The current colors are crappy!
15 (65.2%)
Neutral.
8 (34.8%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Blackheart6004

My DeviantArt Profile - http://blackheart6004.deviantart.com/

Dark Fire

I agree that the current Planetside site layout is not great, but you can see that more effort is being made by the Planetside team now to make their stuff look good - these forums and the T2TP download page look reasonable. Obviously there is a lot of room for improvement, but the progress is encouraging.

crazymonkey

don't mind either way to be honest ;D

Blackheart6004

Quote from: Dark Fire on January 05, 2007, 06:15:08 PM
I agree that the current Planetside site layout is not great, but you can see that more effort is being made by the Planetside team now to make their stuff look good - these forums and the T2TP download page look reasonable. Obviously there is a lot of room for improvement, but the progress is encouraging.

Yeah. I've spoked with Oshyan on MSN a while ago about the site layout and he said it does needs to be redesigned since its been like that when the first version of TG came out.

Now its the year 2007 and Planetside needs to work on it but unfortunately they dont have time to work on it now.

Dark Fire

There were actually minor improvements to the layout a while ago, but the site does look almost the same as it did when TG first came out. However, the website is not a huge priority at the moment - they need to work a lot on TG2.

MeltingIce

I've been inspired and I've started working on a new welcome page for their site, maybe they'll like it and use it  :o

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

Dark Fire

That's a good idea. I wonder if they would be willing to use it...

MeltingIce

Sigh, I'm about ready to murder Internet Explorer because of its horrible CSS support.  If you use anything but IE, this should look fine.  If you have IE, keep in mind that I'm trying to find a fix/hack to get around IE's inadequacy as a web browser.  Here's what I have so far: http://meltingice.net/planetside
(I don't mean to promote my own artwork, which I used for the background for the site.  I will gladly use a different render if asked to.)

Dark Fire

That looks amazing (even in IE). It has a very similar feel to the Windows Vista section of the Microsoft website, although it clearly has better graphics. Keep working on it and Planetside will have to come up with a good argument for not using it.

MeltingIce

Quote from: Dark Fire on January 06, 2007, 05:04:05 PM
That looks amazing (even in IE). It has a very similar feel to the Windows Vista section of the Microsoft website, although it clearly has better graphics. Keep working on it and Planetside will have to come up with a good argument for not using it.
Haha you found my inspiration for the design, I really like the Vista site so I thought I would make my own version.  I wrote it from scratch so I doubt theres anything Microsoft can say about it.

Dark Fire

A navigation area on the left-hand side of the page is the oldest trick on the internet so if they were to challenge yours, they could upset a lot of people. The landscape in the background is a similarly popular design feature that Microsoft could not challange. By the way, I think your version looks better than the Windows Vista site, which is spoiled by heavy JPEG compression.

MeltingIce

Alright well I switched methods for making the nav part.  For those of you who know a little html, I switched from using an unordered list <ul> to make the navigation stuff to just using "br" after each image and no unordered list.  Works perfectly in both IE and Firefox.

Dark Fire

It looks even better now in IE...

Blackheart6004

Oshyan also said they wont take pre-made layout for the site due to security reasons.

Yes you can DO a concept(s) of Planetside's new layout but it won't be accepted.

MeltingIce

Quote from: Blackheart6004 on January 06, 2007, 06:33:22 PM
Oshyan also said they wont take pre-made layout for the site due to security reasons.

Yes you can DO a concept(s) of Planetside's new layout but it won't be accepted.

What exactly do you mean by pre-made layout?  I wrote this by hand from scratch today... I don't see how there could be a breach of security  ???