Trees

Started by rcallicotte, April 04, 2013, 08:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Thats rather nice given that you did it in ten min. Well its nice anyway. But imagine what you could do in 1hr!

It has been eaten.

mhaze

rcallicotte

...and that was the architect version...
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

TheBadger

I really do want to make my own trees.

I bought the gnomon workshop  for maya and paint effects yesterday. If it works well Ill let you know.
I got part 1, only.

But if its good stuff for me, Ill get part two, and so on. I could not find a used version from amazon or a book store. And 80 bucks felt really like  a lot for a few vids. But If it makes me better...!

Anyway, I hope its as great as it looks.

It has been eaten.

Tangled-Universe

I think it's pretty comprehensive Michael and that you'll learn a lot from it!

mhaze

The issue for me is that you can only make hand drawn trees in studio at $895!!!!!  another example of top end software rip off.

Tangled-Universe

Rip-off for the hobbyist, but for game studios or other studios this is nearly pocket money.
Even serious freelance landscape artists (arch-viz I'm mainly pointing to) would probably consider this a viable option?

My expectation is that Plant Factory won't compete for price.
"Knowing" E-on they're probably as over-confident with this as with Vue, so I expect prices higher than SpeedTree.
In the end nothing will happen in prices which would make SpeedTree, or even PlantFactory, affordably for us hobbyists.
Again, my expectations only.

mhaze

I wish is wasn't all or nothing there's no upgrade path or module structure. I would happily buy the software otherwise. Now I'll probably buy it unhappily!

Dune

Nice tree, but there's a kind of 'circular' look to the way the leaves are oriented. You might want to take a look at that.

mhaze

Yes, I noticed that too, there is are limited number of ways of adding leaves to the trees.  I have since found ways to improve the look but custom meshes are probably the way forward. In many ways the trees are much better than I can get from XFrog. Speedtree is very good but still has many limitations.  I wish the stand alone version of XFrog was still in development.   

Tangled-Universe

Which limitations of SpeedTree are you referring to Mick?

mhaze

The placement of multiple trunks, placement of leaves and control over their angles are the main ones but there were other things that I can't remember.  There are probably solutions but in my short acquaintance with the program I haven't found them.

TheBadger

Yeah, I will be avoiding speed tree. Not a ton of documentation, little in the way of instructionals, and the tuts that I did see they wanted  $250 in addition to the software. This last thing really pisses me off. It' like these smart phone apps that you get for a dollar, and then you realize that for it to be of any use, you have to spend 20 more dollars for game levels, or whatever. And they never tell you this when you buy the software.

"Hey guy, we built this software, its really great, look for you self. See? Isn't that great? Yeah? Ok pay us and try and use it in a real project. Oh, your not having the success you expected? Ok, well, for 250 more dollars will give you the manual."

Also, when people who use TG2 well, say that speed tree is complex and difficult. Well thats like a dentist telling you, "this is going to hurt a little."  ;D

So I am officially scared away. I will wait to see the tree factory, and I want to give a real look at Xfrog. But Im not sure there is much hope for me and a stand alone for plants :'(

Hmmmmm, maybe Im just in a bad mood? No, software really is difficult.
It has been eaten.

mhaze

Don't be scared away by speedtree, there's enough free documentation out there and a helpful forum to get you started.  It's the more exotic things that my artist mind wants to do that are difficult.  I am annoyed by the loss of drawing in the architect version or any kind of upgrade path. I shall, nevertheless, be buying it in the next couple of months.

TheBadger

The link in the OP for TPF has been updated. There are some videos in the link now showing TPF in use. I have to say that they make what they show look easy...
We will see, I guess.
It has been eaten.