Trees

Started by rcallicotte, April 04, 2013, 08:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

Still waiting for the price though!

Tangled-Universe

Yeah given what I know so far the price will be key to its success, but also to my interest towards the software.
Also I'm curious to see whether I'm obliged to purchase a maintenance path along with it and how much that will suck from the budget.

If they want to release it before the end of June then it's about time to reveal some pricing info!

TheBadger

What would you guys say the price should be? Im arbitrarily saying I feel like I don't even want to spend 250.
It has been eaten.

Tangled-Universe

They just had another pretty useless update on their site showing that you can model other things than plants...so exciting  :-[
Anyway, there's another update coming monday and hopefully that will finally reveal the pricing of the product.

I still think it will be around the 4 digit number, since SpeedTree studio is $899

Quote from: TheBadger on May 16, 2013, 07:55:00 PM
What would you guys say the price should be? Im arbitrarily saying I feel like I don't even want to spend 250.

Where do you base that feeling on?
Of course I also would like to pay as less as possible. I hope it's around 100 dollars, dirt cheap :)

However, given the featureset and it's potential power (partially demonstrated so far) it's not very sensible or reasonable to say you only want to spend 250 max on it.
Or anything below 500 basically. The features and tech just have more value.
Also, given the company who's developing it, I think it's unlikely to expect it to cost below 500 anyway, which isn't a really good argument of course, but based on its features and tech it will likely not be very cheap.

TheBadger

QuoteWhere do you base that feeling on?

Wishful thinking I guess.

Its a dilemma, Martin.
I need to have access to lots and lots of plant objects. The venders like Walli make great stuff, but not everything I need. Besides, you could spend a fortune buying up all the assets that are out there, and still not get everything you need for a given project. Even so, I would still buy from Walli just to save myself time and energy. But for everything I need that he doesn't sell...

So thePlantFactory is looking pretty darn nice (easy, fast, good results). But when you say $800 I just cringe, because I know it will have problems. None of this software works as well as you think it will when you buy it, there are always issues.

So spending 800+ to get software I cant use, or is very time consuming to use is a worry.

Than again, it really could end up being the "best plant soft on the planet". But I don't want to be the guy to test that at 800+ $.

Hope they release soon. I need to make up my mind.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Sorry to bump this with nothing new to say. But I just keep coming back to this
[attach=1]

Thats pretty darn nice looking!
And if its as fast to make as the videos make it look. Well, thats something.
It has been eaten.

Tangled-Universe

That's definitely an impressive one :)

Tomorrow we'll know more as a new post is announced for the 20th of may.
Fingers crossed that it will finally reveal the pricing and stuff!

TheBadger

OK, so this is looking like its going to be a long slow tease :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgSxH4GdJcM&feature=youtu.be
Painting tress in TPF

Pretty!
It has been eaten.

Tangled-Universe

Yeah now the next announcement is exactly a week later again.
So every week 1 update. Well, it might be a long tease indeed, but after all it's always better than the pace some other companies can have ;)

I find it interesting to see that they mention that there will be a version available for every budget.

This either means that it will compete severely with SpeedTree or that it won't compete because they offer a cheaper version which is stripped too much of its functionality to be able to compete with SpeedTree.

A ~$300 version would be awesome, but it shouldn't be stripped of its core functionalities.
I hope their cheapest version can model without restrictions and has zero animation stuff.
That would be fine enough for me to start with.
Then they can have a ~$900 version with animation and an even more expensive one for the whole kit and caboodle.

I hope it's going into such a direction.

Rests only a thorough update on TG's raytracer for objects and then we can make some really photographic looking stuff :)

TheBadger

Quoteupdate on TG's raytracer for objects and then we can make some really photographic looking stuff

That is why I am here! When I can make a 3D image, and all the things in the image by my self, and then make a render that is photographic to all but the most discerning eye. Then I will be the digital artist I want to be.

yeah, 300, no animation. I can work with this. But really, going above 400 for everything sounds a little crazy. After all, the software only does one thing.

Zbrush is, what 600? I cant believe a modeler that has such a narrow focus could be too costly. In the end TPF wont do a single thing that other programs cant, Right? Its just that TPF is trying to make things faster and simpler?
Well faster and simpler is worth a few dollars. But 1000? Probably not so much.

And I saw that stuff about TPF "being so powerful it can model things other than plants", too. Yeah well, so can hexagon  ;D and thats free.
I couldn't care less if it models things other than plants...What do I have Maya for?

It has been eaten.

Dune

Correct, I wouldn't pay more than 300 for something that I would merely use for making trees.

Tangled-Universe

Yes I tend to agree with that statement too if you consider it will be a version with modeling capacity only.

Hopefully they will reveal it the 27th.

Tangled-Universe

New update, but not on prices yet:

http://www.theplantfactory-tech.com/index.php?post/2013/05/27/Plant-Factory-Recursive-Plant-Modeling

I hope this recursive modeling allows for hand-coding growth rules. On algorithmic botany there are pdf's which describe supernice recursive models for branch growth so it would be great if the software could make use of those via this functionality.

TheBadger

^^ Well that looks nice.
Like now some of the branches look blighted or dead. I hope thats mostly automatic, and we can just alter the percentage of leaved and unleaved branches.
It has been eaten.

mhaze

Prices are out!!!!!